Monday, December 29, 2014

Rosebud Methodist Church Closes

Sad to see another of our old country churches closing. Rosbud Church being 116 years old.

 It's usually for the same
 reason- not enough members to keep them open.

The last service for this church was Dec. 21, 2014, according to the article in The Crittenden Press, written by Editor, Daryl Tabor.  The articles says there was only a weekly attendance of four - which included two members in the pews, the pastor and his wife.

There is not much early history about the church.  The first church was built in 1898 on land donated by Mr. Ira Nunn.

From an old Press article dated, May 24, 1900, it says: Our new church at Rosebud will be dedicated the fifth Sunday in July.

This picture of the church was made in the 1970's.

I'm sure there are many memories these old country churches hold for all the members that once attended and participated in all the activities that were a part of the church.

If at a later date some news about what will happen to the church building is found out, I will put the information in a post.  It will be up to the Methodist Association as far as what will happen with the building.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Marion Days in 1931

Back in 1931 the city of Marion wanted a way to promote and advertise their many places of business.  They decided to have a special 3-day event, which would be called Marion Days.  For the event many of the businesses placed special ads in The Crittenden Press.  These ads tell us of the history of some of the local business those many years ago.
  • Yandell and Gugenheim - Local dry goods dealers, has the oldest mercantile establishment in Marion, this business being well over forty years old.  Partners in the business are W. B. Yandell, Samuel Gugenheim and R. B. Cook who are assisted in the business by Samuel A. Gugenheim and Ernest Butler.  (Today this building is the home of Frazer, Rogers and Peek Law Offices on the corner of Main and E. Carlisle St.)
  • Cochran's Is The Oldest Business - T. H. Cochran is the oldest hardware store in Marion.  This business is well and favorably known throughout this entire territory, not only for the high grade of materials in which they deal but the progressiveness and public spirited attitude of the owners, T. H. Cochran and L. E. Crider.  Cochran's store occupies two floors of their building on South Marin Street.  A large line of farming implements, stoves, kitchen ware, fencing, roofing and hardware staples is kept on hands at all times. (This store building sits empty today)
  • R. S. Elkins Is Proprietor of Marion Hardware Company.  The Marion Hardware and Grocery Company, the only such combination in Marion.  R. S. Elkins owner of the store, which moved early in the spring from Bellville Street to a Main Street location. 
  • Moore and Pickens - This store was started a number of years ago by Miss Mildred Moore and Miss Elvah Pickens, now Mrs. Weems Croft and Mrs. Frank Bennett.  Since the establishment of the business these two young ladies have had a satisfactory business, due to the kind of merchandise they handle and to the personality they put into the management of their business.
  • The Owl Sandwich Shop - Is Marion's "sandwich headquarters". This place, owned and operated y Emmett Koltinsky with the assistance of his wife, makes a specialty of various kinds of sandwiches, chili, etc.  A favorite gathering place for those noon-time meals away from the office.
  • Pugh's Variety Store - carries a complete line of novelties, kitchenware, dishes and toys as well as an assortment of hats and ladies and children's clothing.  This is a cash store and they have built up a good patronage in Marion.  Mr C. W. Pugh is from Sturgis and came to Marion and established the third of his variety stores, the other two being located in Sturgis and Clay.
  • Conoco Gas At Service Station in located on Marion Street.  It is under the management of M. W. Thomason.  He sells Conoco gasoline and oil.  In addition to this service the Super Service station specializes in greasing and aligning.

Monday, December 15, 2014

Eulanda, Historic Home

One of Crittenden County's oldest homes, "Eulanda" was once home to Eula Clement, daughter of John Randolph Clement and Feliciana Desdemona Nunn Clement.

According to the late county historian, Thomas Tucker,  John Randolph Clement contracted for the construction of the home in 1859 at a cost of $150.00  

 The builder, John Fowler, agreed to get the timber and construct a house 46' x 18' wide.  The original home consisted of three 17' x 17' rooms, a 10' x 17' hall and an ell-shaped porch.   The timbers supporting the floors were logs which had the bark left on them.  Sandstone from a nearby quarry was used for the foundation and the two chimneys at the house.  

One of Mr. Clement's four children was a daughter, Eula, who was born in the house.   She was born in 1882 and lived in the home almost up to the time of her death in June 1974. 

Mr. Tucker inherited the house after Miss Eula died, and he and his wife, Ethel, in the 1980's did a major renovation of the house by adding two bedrooms, two baths, a basement, and other modern conveniences.  They made Eulanda their summer home until 1985 when they sold the home and furnishings at auction.

The home since then has had several other owners, but Eulanda is still a beautiful home and definitely full of history.   The home is located on the Dam 50 Road (now S. R. 397).  The picture above was made in April of 2008.

An strange occurrence is that father and son both died from timber related accidents.
Father John Rudd Clement, got hunt in an accident at his sawmill.  He injured both his legs so badly that they had to be amputated, all they had for pain was whiskey, and in was given to him in excess and he died from it.   He is buried in the little family cemetery located near his home at Clementsburg, near the site of Dam 50.

Son, John Randolph Clement on March 9, 1894, met with a shocking accident and received injuries from which he died in a few hours.  His death came from a head injury received while prizing stumps from his meadow.  He is buried at the Mt. Zion Cemetery.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Joseph Newcom Family

Joseph Sylvestor "Ves" Newcom Family Home.  Wasn't it a beautiful home with all the gingerbread trim and the unique roof line with the wooden trim.  According to Glenn Newcom, descendent of Joseph, this picture was made about 1898.

Front row: Joseph Marion, Joseph "Ves"  holding May, Lena and Wlbur.  Standing in back: Clyde and Margaret (Lucas) Newcom, wife of  Joseph.  

Here is an interesting little article that appeared in The Crittenden Press, May 13, 1915.
Newcom's Family History.  Joseph Newcom, grandfather of the late Joseph Ves Newcom, was born in Scotland in the year 1767.  Hearing of America, the sturdy highlander with his bonnie bride determined to try their fortunes in the new county.  

Landing at New Orleans in 1795, they made their way up the Mississippi, Ohio, and Cumberland rivers and settled on the banks of a small tributary of the latter, in what is now Humphrey County, Tenn.   Here they lived till 1807, and they then, with their four living sons, one of whom was married, moved to Kentucky and settled in the community of what afterwards became Bells Miness.

Their son Joseph soon imigrated to Illinois, and with the excetion of occasional newspaper accounts, little is known of this family.

Dudley married and settled on what is now known as the Finis Black farm.  

William married and warranted the tract that afterward became the Steve Rutherford home. 

John went back to Tenn, married Sarah Price and settled on his father's land.  To this couple were born nine boys and five girls. The sons in order were as follows:  Dudley, John, Joseph, William, Wesley, Pleasant, Dennis, Alvin, and Newton.  The daughters were: Martha, Nancy, Betsy, Sarah, and Jame.

John remained in Tenn., until 1828, when he moved to this county and settled what is known as the lindle farm.

His third son, but fifth child, Joseph was born in Tenn., Jan. 7, 1825.  He married May Eliza Cain, oldest child of Charles S. Cain.  To this union was born eight children, seven sons and one daughter.  Two of these boys died while small.  John Albert, the third child, died while a young man, 27 years of age.  Joseph Sylvester, (our picture's home), the oldest living, resides near Weston.
Joseph Sylvester and his wife, Margaret Cain Newcom are buried in the Mt. Zion Cemetery.  Crittenden County.  Joseph died Jan. 24, 1929 and Margaret died July 24, 1929.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

When Whisky Was In Marion 1894-1906

In January of 1894, the newly elected Marion board of trustees, held their first meeting on January 2nd.  The board was composed of J. P. Pierce, J. H. Clark, S. Gugenheim, W. D. Cannon and H. H. Loving.  After the organization had been completed, C. E. Doss appeared before the board and requested a coffee house license be granted to his company of C. E. Doss & Co.  

A slip of paper was handed to each member of the board, and when the slips were collected four were for granting the licenses and one against; hence by a vote of 4 to 1, C. E. Doss & Co., was granted licenses to sell spirituous, vinous and malt liquors.  His tax license cost $500.00.

After four years of Marion being a dry county, ti was once again to have saloons by a vote of 4-1.  Since January 14, 1890, there had been no saloons in Marion, local option having been voted the August previous and since that there had been a standing fight between the wets and drys and when ever occasion offered in the courts or at the polls each had taken a whack at the other.  For four years the drys had practically held the long end of the string, but now it seems that the wets are to have their running.

Soon after this first granted request, several more appeared before the board and asked for license.  Here are some of the other business that were granted licenses to sell liquor.

 These are a few of the ad that appears in the old Crittenden Presses.

Once again in 1906, the vote came up again for staying wet or going back to being dry.  The people voted dray.  This topic being a controversy as long as can be remembered.

No 'legal' whiskey was sold in Marion after than although it wasn't until 1919 that prohibition came into effect.    

Monday, November 24, 2014

Frances School Visits Mammoth Cave, May 1931

Crittenden Press, May 22, 1931.

Twenty-eight people from Crittenden County, most of them students in the Frances High School made a trip to Mammoth Cave region.

 Bottom row: Henry Simpkins, (driver), Isabel Woodall Oldham, Reba Oliver Franklin, Augusta Hard Kirkwood, Naoma Farmer MItchell, Evelyn Herod Craighead.
2nd row: Hub Brown, Marian "Jim" Carter Pogue, William O. "Bill" Farmer, Carl "Pos" Ralston, Kelly Matthews, Ruth Hard Rogers, Evelyn Whitt Cruce.
3rd row: William E. "Happy Jack" Brasher, Milton Sorensen (has cap on), Boyd "Zeb" Ralston, Edward Ray (Principal), and wife, Joanna Mason Ray
4th row: Mr. Deboe, (visitor), Virginia Brasher (right behind Mr. Deboe), Myrtle Capps Brown, Mary Frances Pogue Stevens, Sue Mason, Opal Lee Vick Matthews, Velda "Jack" Matthews, Margie Fuller Fox, Minnie Belle Cruce Wheeler, Verna Mae Simpkins Brasher

They visited not only the Mammoth Cave National Park but two state parks, the Blue and Gray Park in Todd County and Jefferson Davis State Park at Fairview.

The entire crowd went in a truck driven by Henry Simpkins and the party camped out, taking with them their own food.  They were gone five days.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Early Rural Mailbox

Not to many years ago Crittenden County had many rural post offices and they meant a lot to the community.  All gone now but Crayne and Dycusburg and they are only open on a half-time basis.  Dycusburg in the morning, and Crayne in the afternoon.  These too will eventually fade away into our forgotten passages of time.

The late R. F. Wheeler of Marion, helped establish one of the first mail routes in Crittenden County from which some of the star routes grew.

This box was first located at the intersection of the Shady Grove and Porter Mill Rd.   On the left side of the metal box was a "penny case" on which a penny could be left when mailing a letter.

The letter was left in the "letter hook" inside the box.  The mail carrier would then stamp the letter and it was then on its way at a cost of only one penny.

This invention must have been a very modern convenience for the rural folks who weren't able to get to a community post office when they were in a hurry to mail a letter.  (This wonderful old piece of long ago history is on display at the Crittenden County Historical Museum.)

A letter that was post marked at the Shady Grove Post Office in 1947.

I love to see these old postmarks of long ago telling of the post office that they went through.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Honoring Our Veterans

The Veteran's Memorial that is located on the Courthouse square was dedicated in a special ceremony on Nov. 11, 1984.  It was sponsored by the local American Legion Post No. 111.

The marker, a black granite slab, was dedicated to the memory of all Crittenden County veterans who have died in wars this century.

Artwork, commemorating 
all five branches of the U. S. armed forces - Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard are engraved on the front of the marker.

On the date of the dedication, post members B. C. McNeely and Paul Sullenger removed a flag which had been draped over the marker prior to the ceremony.  Jimmy Watson lit five candles commemorating the efforts of the five branches of the American military.

Located close by the American Legion monument is a marble bench dedicated to Marion's National Guard unit.

Engraved on it "Defending Our Freedom" Co B 2nd Battalion 23rd Armor Kentucky Army National Guard" Marion, Ky.

The present day American Legion Post always has a meaningful Veteran's Day Program, but the Celebration's of yesteryear were very different.  Here is one that was in the Crittenden Press for Nov. 11, 1957.
Fohs Hall was the scene for a very colorful and interesting Veteran's Day assembly presented by the Marion American Legion Post.

After the student body and guests were seated, an honor guard, consisting of William Duke Taylor, J. R. Tharp, Wendell Travis and Guy Sullenger, presented the colors.  The Marion High School band played the National Anthem and then the pledge to the flag was given by all.  

Mr. William Allen, Judge advocate of the state, gave a stirring talk of wars starting with earlier ones and working up to the Korean conflict, and told the meaning of our Flag and what Veteran's Day will mean in years to come.

The band kept the theme of the day by offering their rendition of two patriotic numbers.

An American flag was presented to Mrs. Reba Gilliland, principal of Marion Grade School.  

To add to the celebration, the band marched from Fohs Hall to Main St., down Main to Carlisle, down Carlisle to the high school, playing the individual songs for each branch of the service.

Let us never forgot our brave soldiers and veterans and what they gave for us to have the freedoms we enjoy today. 

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Marion, A Thriving Town of Mercantile Establishments in 1926

This interesting article is from The Crittenden Press, Oct. 22, 1926.  Things were looks promising for the town of Marion.

Located in a beautiful valley, with just enough gently rolling hillsides to enhace its natural beauty, the little city is an attractive one. 

It is becoming and promises to continue to grown and become more attractive so as the residents, both native and adopted will continue to want to live here.  Her business enterprises are as thriving and as varied in their field of activity as are found in any community.

  • Banking Institutions.  The banking institutions are both splendid ones.  The Marion Bank stands on the southeast corner of the intersection of Main and Carlisle.  (now The People's Bank).    The officers of the Marion Bank are:  J. W. Blue, president; Sam Gugenheim, vice president; T. J . Yandell, cashier; Katherine Yandell Runyan, J. V. Threlkeld and Orville Lamb, assistant cashiers; Virginia Flanary Vaughan, bookkeeper.
  • The Farmers Bank and Trust Company stands on the northwest corner of Main and Carlisle and is the youngest of the two banks.  The building it now occupies, while not a very old one, has been recently remodeled and enlarged.  The officers of the Farmers Bank and Trust Company are: W. T. McConnell, president; R. F. Wheeler and C. C. Wheeler, vice presidents; O. S. Denny, cashier; Hollis C. Franklin, N. G. Guess and May Cook, assistant cashiers; Melba Williams, bookkeeper.
  • Dry Goods Stores - The Yandell-Gugenheim Dry Good Company; J. H. Mays and Sons, The McConnell Dry Good Store; The Carnahan Company; Taylor and Company; The H.V. Stone Company.
  •  Hardware - Two hardware stores are at present doing business in town.  The T. H. Cochran and Company hardware firm, located on Main Street, now consists of T. H. Cochran and L. E. Crider.  The assistants in the store now are Miss Clara Nunn, bookkeeper, and Dow Little salesman.
  • The Marion Hardware and Grocery Company devote one side of their building to their stock of hardware and the other to the grocery department.  The firm members are C. A. Daughtrey, E. F. Sullenger and W. D. Sulleger.  Mrs. Lee Mose is bookkeeper and Gabe Wathen asists as salesman.  The store is located on Bellville Street.
  • Hotel and Restaurants - Marion at the present has only one hotel, that being found aequate to the needs of the town.  A. S. Cannan is the owner and manager.  He has added to the original brick hotel on Carlisle the former Woods residence on the corner of Carlisle Street.  
  • The Sunrise Cafe occupies one section of the newly erected A. M. Shelby building on Bellville Street.  Guy G ivens is the propietor and has been in business at his new place only a short while although he is experienced in that business.
  • The newer of the two restaurants is the Marion Cafe, J. A. Elder, proprietor. Mr. Elder's business is located in Miss Mary Cameron's building on Main Street.  The building was formerly occupied by the Babb Cafe, owned by A. C. Babb.  Mr. Elder, the present manager is also police judge.
These are just a few of the many store that were located in  Marion in 1926.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Vincent McKinney Stone Dedication

On a beautiful hillside in southern Crittenden County this past Saturday, Oct. 25th, a new memorial stone was dedicated to an early pioneer settler of our county.  It was located at the Asbridge Cemetery.  A beautiful and well kept and cared for cemetery.

As so often in the early days, there wasn't a tombstone to mark his passing, as times were hard and just keeping alive was the most important thing.  

Matthew Patton, a descendant from this family spearheaded this project, with help from Doyle Polk of the Frances community, also a descendant.

                                                          This is the front of the stone.
This the back side of the stone listing the children.

This family genealogy research is shared by Matthew T. Patton.

Descendants of early Crittenden County settlers Vincent and Nancy (Newton) McKinney will dedicate a memorial tombstone in their honor at 11 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 25. at the Asbridge Cemetery.

The McKinneys moved to Kentucky from Jefferson Co., Tenn., raising a family of several children whose descendants still live in the area. Their children were: William A. McKinney, John M. McKinney, Mary E. McKinney, Mariah J. McKinney, James Harrison McKinney, Prudence V. McKinney, Calvin F. McKinney, Joseph Newton McKinney, Sarah Ann McKinney, Lorena E.A. McKinney, Thomas Jefferson McKinney, and Martha C. McKinney.

Vincent McKinney, born in 1808, died Feb. 1868. Nancy Newton-McKinney lived from about 1816 and died after June 1880. Now more than 145 years later, the family collaborated to erect a tombstone in their memory. A farmer by occupation, the Vincent McKinney along with his family left Tennessee around 1850 and migrated to Crittenden County. On Jan. 4, 1853, for the sum of $100, he purchased a parcel of about 400 acres, part of which bordered Claylick Creek.

They apparently lived there the rest of their lives, and are likely buried at this homestead. Several children and grandchildren of the couple are buried at Asbridge Cemetery. For this reason and its proximity to the McKinney farm, the family chose this cemetery for the memorial marker.

 Attending the dedication from left to right.  Rita Owen Travis, Judy Riley, Danny Riley, Doyle Polk, Jenny Sosh, and Billy McDaniel.  Matthew was unable to attend, his sister, Jenny filled in for him.

It was a beautiful day and a beautiful thing done to remember these people that help settle our county.  

Monday, October 20, 2014

Sid Johnson's Airport

The Johnson family moved to Marion in 1940.  Mr. Johnson first built an auto and truck repair garage and service business where he serviced and repaired cars and trucks.

He took flying lessons and became an excellent pilot and when WWII was over he built a small airport behind the service station, and taught G. I's to fly, which was sponsored by the G.I. bill.

The building on the left was the first building which was his auto and truck repair garage.  It was located about 4 miles from Marion on 641 before you get to Crayne.  The buildings are still there today.

Some of the men that Mr. Johnson trained to be pilots were: Keith Norman, Donald Clark, Barrett Little, William LaRue, Paul Belt, Leslie Freeman, Louis Myers, Thomas Leon Hughes, Blake Douglas Fritts, Lonnie Hodge, Guthrie and Roger Linzy.

This is a picture of the hanger in 1947 and one of Mr. Johnson's places.

On Sept. 5, 1947 there was a large air show sponsored at the air port.  The show featured parachute jumps, wing walking, stunt flying and contests of spot landing bombing, and many other exciting events.

The airport continued to operate until 1949.  When the government stopped the G. I. bill for flying instructions Mr. Johnson closed the airport.

In it's location Johnson strated a business of being the Packard Auto Dealer and when the Packard Company, in a couple of years went broke, he then started the John Deer Implement Dealership.  The John Deer Dealership was in business 27 years in this location.

Sid and Lucy Johnson were fine people, and are remembered still by many local citizens.

Pictures are courtesy of Joni Morris Durfey, granddaughter of Sid and Lucy Johnson.  Her mother was Joan in the picture above.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Knights of Pythyas Hall

Crittenden Press 1890 - Three years ago a number of the Knights from Ivy Lodge, Henderson, came over to Marion and instituted a new Lodge, with a membership of twelve.

Since that time the order has been gradually growing and now numbers forty.

A few months ago the idea of building a hall of their own was conceived and on Friday night last the new building was ready to be occupied.

Henderson and other neighboring Lodges were invited to assist in dedicating the handsome building.  A special train brought twenty-seven visitors.  They were met at the depot and escorted up town by Blackwell Lodge.  After supper a large crowd gathered at the opera house and the visiting Knights were welcomed by Sir Knight A. C. Moore.

The new hall is a substantial brick handsomely finished without and within and is a credit to the popular and rapidly growing order and an honor to the town.  

The new KP  was built in 1890 and this pictures appeared in the Illistratued Edition of the Crittenden Press in 1894.

The building may look familiar to some of us Crittenden Countians because in later year is was the Lottie Terry store and then her son's James Terry's. 

It was located on West Bellville Street where the Christian Church and Gilbert's Funeral Home parking lot is today.

The old building was torn down in the mid 1980's and I'm sure not anyone really knew the age or history behind this once new and impressive building.

I do not know when the Knights of Pythyas discontinued their lodge here.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Oakland School

Another one of our old one-room schools was Oakland.  It was located about half-way between Mattoon and Tribune on the east side of the Flynn's Ferry Road (now known as Hwy. 654 South).

The school building itself was probably as good, if not better than the average.  Having been built for a church originally, it had a large hall across the front of the building, which provided ample space for the children to put their hats, coats, gloves, galoshes and lunch pails.

There was a stage in front of the school room, which no doubt served as a pulpit when it was a church.

The school was heated by by coal in a pot-bellied stove.  In addition to the standard school furniture, which consisted of double desks with movable sets to stand and long benches around the stove, so students could sit near the warmth of the stove.

The water for the school was furnished from a well with a bucket drawn by a pulley, with a rope.  Adjacent to the well shed was a coal house to store the winter supply of coal.

There were two out door toilets on the north side of the play ground.

There was a black board which ran the full width of the room.  In addition to the regular school classes there were spelling bees, oratorical contests, and debates.  Sometimes a neighboring school would visit to participate in the contests.

Some of the families attending Oakland School were: Bateman, Brantley, Brown, Butler, Clark, Cole, Cullen, Hendrix, Henley, Manley, Marvel, McDowell, Moore, Newcom, Norther, Parish, Payne, Powell, Railey, Roberts, Samuel, Shuttleworth, Slaughter, Small, Stanley,Steven, Threlkeld, Traylor, Utley, Wade, Wagner, Woodall and Woodring.

The school building also served as an auditorim for the community.  Sunday school and church services were held here and communities meetings, such as the Farmers Cooperative Association had their meetings here.

Oakland School consolidated with several other one room schools in 1929 and students were sent to the Mattoon school.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Mapleview Moments, Sept. 27, 2014

On Saturday, Sept 27, the Fohs Halls Community Arts Foundation presented Mapleview Moments.  This was a visit to our city cemetery, Mapleview, with a visit with some of our past citizens who once shared some of their history with us.  A very interesting tour was given.

Greeting the visitors as they arrived was Mamie Mapleview.  (aka Becky Tyner-Belt)

She was a ghostly spirit that roamed the earth visiting from place to place.

This day she chose Mapleview to land so she could welcome the visitors to the tour.

 Dressed in all her finery she was a sight to see.

Some of the other stops on the tour included:

Mr. and Mrs. Thomas H. Cochran (aka Chris and Allison Evans)

T. H. Cochran came to Marion from Livingston Co. in 1882 and began working in the hardware business.  He began the Cochran Hardware Co. in 1895.  The Cochran Hardware Store was one of the best stores in Western Ky.

Mrs. Clara Nunn Cochran came from the little community of Rodney, located on Hwy. 365 not too far from Bells Mines. 
She married T. H. Cochran in Oct. of 1933, being his second wife.  She worked in the store with him for several years and helped manage the displays and hardware.

Mr. Cochran died in 1952 at the age of 90 and Mrs. Cochran lived until 1968, being 87 years old.

Mrs. Mary Witherspoon Wilson (aka Phyllis Sykes).

Since husband Mr. Wilson was unable to be present for the visit he sent Mrs. Wilson to do the talking.  She brought alone his picture to share with us.

The Wilson family was very prominent in farming and well as Mr. Wilson was a very prominent business man in Marion.  He helped with bringing the railroad into Crittenden County, and at one time owned the Crittenden Springs Hotel.  He also helped with the organization of the Marion Bank.

Mr. Wilson also built the first permanent residence home in Marion in 1846.  It was known as the Wilsonia.  A grand home in it's time.
Mr. Wilson died Jan. 2, 1920 and Mrs. Wilson died March 25, 1925.

Next we met and spoke with Rev. James F. Price (aka Frank Pierce)

Born in 1853 in the Cave Springs area of Crittenden County.

Rev. Price was one of the most prominent ministers in Presbyterian circles.  He held many high offices in the church in addition to holding pastorates in eight Wetern Ketnucky cities.

He was also the organizer and founder of Crittenden County Singing Conventions. Was ordained a CP minister in 1881.

Rev. Price was also noted genealogist and historian. Many of his writings and articles have helped supply many of the historic facts that we know of today about the county.  He also wrote a small book on the Travis Family.  

He died Sept. 10, 1937 at the age of 84. Before he died he said  "I had a good life and tried to contribute to my community and be a faithful servant of the Lord."

Mrs. Grace Conditt McKee  (aka Ramona Ford) waited for the visitors under the shade of one of the Maple trees.

Grace was born in 1895 on the family homestead, located in the Forrest Grove Community.  Her parents were William and Martha Witherspoon Conditt.  

She was born in the original home of her grandfather, Uri Witherspoon, which is still standing today and we know it as the Wheeler Log Cabin on the Forrest Grove Road.

After attending school and teachers college she returned to Marion and got a job as instructor in the county school system.  Later she lived with her aging parents and took care of them.

She met her husband the Rev. Samuel McKee while attending church at the U. S. A. Presbyterian Church,  she was by then, 42 years old.  They married on June 28, 1937.

Grace didn't have a long life and she died on May 10, 1941 at the age of 46 years.
Ah, the wonderful old cemeteries, silent story tellers I call them.  They are so full of history.  Most everyone one has a story to tell.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Entrance To Mapleview Cemetery

The impressive stone entrance into the Mapleveiw cemetery,
 built in the winter of 1941.
In spite of bad weather, a former Marion boy, now a Major in the United States army, succeeded last winter in building a beautiful and lasting entrance to the Marion city cemetery, Mapleview.

The stone is native granite from Missouri, the home state of his mother. (from The Crittenden Press, May 1942)

On the right ride side of the entrance on a square piece of granite imbedded in the 
entrance wall are these unadorned words
 "A Memorial to my Mother, 
Sallie Hunter Hayward."

Mr. E. J. Hayward and family lived in Marion until 1916 when they moved to a farm across the river in Hardin County, Ill.  They didn't stay there long and in 1920 moved to Danville, Ky.  

Mr. Hayward was a prominent business man in Marion and was also very active in local and civil affairs. He is the gentleman that built the beautiful mansion, at the time, of the Hayward House, which is known by local's today as the old hospital.

The family must have loved Marion, for the family, though all died away from Marion, were brought back and buried in the Hayward family plot in Mapleview Cemetery.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Marion Baseball Teams

In the early 1900's baseball was a very popular sport.  There are several pictures of the baseball teams, but most of them are only identified with a last name.  I have tried to find first names for them, but have so far only found a few.

 In this post card pictures is Front row L to R: Butch Taylor, John Grimes, Gray Rochester, and __ Brown.
Middle row: ___ Moore, Bunk Perryman, ___Guess, ____Lamb, and ___Clark
Back row: Paul Gossage, ____Mitchell, Manager Baird, ___Justice and ____ Conley.

In 1919 still going strong and some of the baseball stars of that era were:
Front row: Bradburn Wheeler, Arnold Driskell, Ernest Conyer, Orville Lamb and Floyd Wheeler
Back row: Clifton Crawford, Schley Frazer, Jack Johnstone-Manager, Jimmy Kimsey, and Homer McConnell

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Fohs Family

The Mark E. Fohs family came to Marion and made it their home in 1890.  They were Jewish immigrants from New York.  Mr. Fohs's occupation was a tailor.  In 1894 he had a nice business located on Bellville Street.

From Crittenden Press in 1894
One of the latest additions to Marion's business concerns, and one that is rapidly growing into public favor is M. E. Fohs' tailor shop. The proprietor came here from New York and commenced the business on a small scale. He proved to be a fine tailor and his work gave such general satisfaction that a few customers grew to be many, and now he employs three persons to assist him in the shop. He has an expert cutter, a man who thoroughly understand his business. He has filled his house with the best and latest fabric in the way of cloths and can give as good a suit as can be purchased from the city tailor.

He fits perfectly, guarantees his goods and does straight, honest work in the make up. His suits equally as stylish, fully as well made, and fit as neatly as any suit you can get from Evansville, Louisville, or Paducah tailors, while his prices are below those of the city tailor.

Tailor made suits, or pants cost but little more at the start, than the eastern made store clothes; from the shop always get a fit, and the clothes look better while you are wearing them, last much longer, and in fact are more serviceable in every way; consequently it is much cheaper in the long run to patronize a first-class tailor, such a one as there is in Marion.

Mr. Fohs cordially invites the people of Marion and those of the surrounding country to call at his shop. He will take pleasure in showing his goods and the styles, giving you prices and will convince you that he does a superior grade of work.

He makes the everyday suits for rough wear of cloth and work that have the staying qualities, and they fit and are nice too, he makes the medium suits, and he makes the finest dress suits. If you have not been waring tailor made clothes, drop into his shop on Bellville street and have a chat with him on the subject of clothes, he has permanently located here, wants to make your acquaintance and may be able to tell you something of value.

He lost his successful tailor business in the fire of 1905. 

 After Marion got most of it's business houses built back he was able to open a new store on Main Street, but this time it was a Variety Store known as "The Mine."

Ad from April 1910.


One of Mr. Fohs's sons was Julius Fohs who went to school here and later after he became a very successful oil baron out west he donated the money for Marion's Fohs Hall.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Hunt Funeral Home

Marion used to have two funeral homes.  Tucker's Funeral Home on West Bellville Street and Hunt's Funeral Home on N. Walker Street.   

The Hunt funeral home was opened in 1951 by Wilbur and Louise Hunt.   It was owned and operated by Wilbur and Louis until 1976.   It was also their home.

In 1976 Terry and Sandy Gilbert purchased the funeral home. In May of 1981, the Gilberts also purchaed the Tucker Funeral Home from Thomas and Ethel Tucking and they operated both facilities.

In January 1987, the Gilberts announced the closing of the Hunt-Gilbert Funeral home.  In making the decision to close it, they cited increased cost of keeping the second facility opening.  They would expand the Tucker building and it would then be known as Gilbert's Funeral Home. 

In June of 1990 the old Hunt Funeral Home building was torn down. 

Today the Senior Citizens building is located on this lot.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Marion 1926 New Construction

In 1926 Marion was still trying to rebuilt and update the businesses on South Main Street after the fire of 1919 and 1921 which burned out all the businesses from the Marion Bank (People's Bank) to the Masonic Lodge building.

Oct. 16, 1925.  Announcement was made that Boston and Sons had been contracted to build a new two story business house on the lot adjoining the present Temple building and also a two story building on the lot to the rear of the same property facing Bellville street.

The architecture of the building will be conformity with the present building, making it have the appearance of only one building when the work in complete.  (this new building would later be the home of the City Drug Store). 

This building will not only mark the closing up the vacant area devastated by the fires of June 1919 and 1921, but the new building facing Bellville street will be an entirely new improvement.  No building of any consequence ever being located there.  

This a picture made in 1926 of the new building constructed on the right.  It was built for a new grocery store run by D. B. Moore.  (would later be the home of the City Drug Store.)

The new rear addition of the Masonic Hall was for The Crittenden Press, you can barely make out the name on the building and George Travis, the photographer, would have his shop on the second floor of the building.

Monday, August 18, 2014

A Spring Of Diamonds

One of my favorite topics of our past history is the wonderful story of The Crittenden Springs and Hotel.  This interesting little article and picture appeared in a special 1902 Illustrated Edition of The Crittenden Press.  (used with permission).  This special edition was promoting the fluor spar and mineral  industry in our county and some other important points of interest at the time.  

I day dream of what it was like to stay at this wonderful place and enjoy the beauty of the Hotel and the scenic countryside when it was at its height of popularity in the early 1900's.

A lordly old style, four-storied, veranda bound, Southern hostelry.  A bounteous Kentucky hospitality, lavishly bestowed on the guests at that delightful Crittenden Spring hotel.

Great big waxed floors for the promenade, the musicals, the dance or social parties.

Forests of oak and maple and sycamores cover the great area of land comprising the estate.  Situated on a plateau overlooking a beautiful valley, with the grand views of the forest, the mountain and the mineral mines.

A spring of health giving water, sparkling as with diamonds.

Melancholy gives way to laughter, crutches to dancing, plainness to beauty.  It is a life giving spring.

Special traveling rates are made from all stations on the Illinois Central Railroad to the welcoming, open doors of the hotel.

Hotel  rates are more than moderate.  The address is Mr. John Wilson, Marion, Kentucky

( I would like to book mine today, please)

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Great Riley Mine

At one time, especially in the early 1900's, Crittenden County had numerous fluor spar, zinc and lead mines.  They were especially many located all along one of the faults that went through southern Crittenden County.  One of them of the Riley Mine.  Here is an interested article that appeared in The Crittenden Press, June 29, 1905 (used with permission)

Located three miles west of Frances on Claylick Creek was the Riley Mine. From the archives of The Crittenden Press let's read about the new Riley mine just being finished in 1905. June 29, 1905 -The Great Riley Mine.

A scene of activity and life, with a shaft 174 feet deep and fine mineral being taken out, lead 98 per cent pure.

Very few people of Marion are aware that one of the best-concentrated zinc plants in this country is in two hours ride by buggy of this city. Scarcely a dozen miles to the southwest of Marion on the borders of this county, with only a creek intervening between it and our rich sister county of Livingston lies the Marion Zinc Company's Riley mine.

The concentrating plant is on an eminence several hundred feet above the territory surrounding it and here the shaft, 174 feet deep has been sunk, and around about it has been erected a plant the equal of any in America.

No money has been spared in the selection of the equipment. In the boiler and engine room, which covers an area of 50 feet long, 40 feet wide, 2 great steam boilers of 200 horse power capacity have been placed and their stacks reach high in the air and can be seen for miles around. They are of the best make obtainable, one being built by the John H. Bass Foundry Co., of Ft. Wayne, the other big boiler and the 80 h.p. engine were built by the Brownell Co., Dayton, Ohio. It seems to have been the aim of the management to get the best of everything.

One hoisting engine is the elevator of the Freeman pattern; another in the foundry is of the Fairbanks Morse type. The three crushers and boilers were built at Cartersville, Mo.

The shaft is a double compartment 174 feet deep, 8x12 feet, one of which is used for the ladder, pump and steam pipe for running mining drills, two of which are in the shaft and are of the Sullivan type, the best known for deep mining. The hoisting plant is 75 feet above ground.

The heavy timbers used in holding the elevator and in lining the shaft look as if they were put there to last a generation, all the work shows plainly it was put there for permanency; nothing cheap or secondary has been used in the construction.

The plant also has a workshop 25 feet square equipped with all kind of machinery necessary for repairing and putting in mining machinery.

One feature of the plant is the reservoirs, two of which are located at the mill on the hill, and one in the creek with a depth of 9 feet, which the two steam pumps throw the water to the reservoirs on the hill.

At present hundred of tons of ore rough, are on the dumps and many tons of crushed ore and concentrates.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mott City

Although the name might they you this was a large place, but it is only a small area on the highway about seven miles from Marion at the junction of Hwy 641 and S. R. 70.

 Mott City started about 1928-29 when Mr. Elmer Mott purchased the store that was there and added 12 more feet. 

The first person to call the place "Mott City" was an old gentleman by the name of Dick Cruce, who lived on the other side of Crayne.  At the time there was only four old houses in the area.  I thought it should be just called Mottsville, but the name "Mott City" stuck (and has for all these years, even today August 2014, it is Mott City and it's even on our county maps)

In 1932 Mr. Mott built the store you see in the picture.  There were gas pumps and a grease rack on the side of the store.  Standard Oil was my gas supplier.  When the fluorspar mines were running we had a good business.

Later, my sons turned the store in to a lumber business and concrete business.  The business was known as Mott Lumber Company and they had a good business.

The store today is an antique store called the Picket Fence.

Monday, July 28, 2014

John Hinchee, Civil War Veteran

Not much has been written or published about the Crittenden County men that were in the Civil War.  In the year 1928, The Crittenden Press did a wonderful thing in trying to get information about the Civil War Veterans.  They ran several issues of the Press that had a picture and some information about that person.  If not for these articles, this information would most likely not ever be known.
This post is about one of those - Mr. John F. Hinchee. 

Written in June 1928.  John D. Hinchee, 84 year old resident of the Cave Spring community, Civil War veteran in Crittenden county fought in the battle of Gettysburg.

Mr. Hinchee enlisted in the Union Army July 23, 1861 and was mustered out Sept. 16, 1865.  Some of the major Civil War engagements in which he participated in were the battles of Winchster; Antiteum; Chancellorsville; Gettysbug, Resaca, Ga.; Peachtree Creek, Kennesaw Mountain; Siege of Atlanta; Black Swamp, Savannah, Averysboro and Bentonville.

Mr. Hinchee was 40 days under fire at the siege of Atlanta; was wounded through the arm at Resaca; was wounded during the battle at Winchester, and was captured by the Confederates.  He was a prisoner for 3-4 months at Lynchburg and part at Belle Island.

Mr. Hinchee was born in Logan County in 1844 and moved to Crittenden 30 years ago.  He was first married to Miss Martha Chandler, of Columbus, Ind., and later to his present wife, Miss Bessie Silvey, of Hopkins County.  

John Hinchee died Feb. 11, 1931 and is buried in the Crowell Cemetery.  Many of his descendants are buried here.   He still has several descendants living in Crittenden County today.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Shady Grove Missionary Baptist Church

In 1844 the founding fathers of Shady Grove Missionary Baptist Church had a vision to provide a place of worship for people living in that eastern part of Crittenden County.  This first church was originally called Clear Spring Church.

They met in a grove of trees near Piney Fork Creek and organized a presbytery, appointed an elder and a moderator.  The members of the presbytery included Elders I. W. Mansfield, moderator and I. E. Grace clerk who together with Elder Clayburn Wilson and brother I. G. Calvert, Wm. Hobby and John Crider.  The following day they set the time and date for the first service - May 24, 1844.

The original log structure of Clear Spring Church burned.  It was rebuilt in 1921 and the name was changed to Shady Grove Missionary Baptist church.

In Sept. 1994 the church held a 150th year celebration.   It is still an active church today.
Picture made in March of 2010.

Monday, July 14, 2014

First Sunday School Convention

Rev. James F. Price, shared the history of the first Sunday School Convention.  It first appeared in the
Crittenden Press, June 7, 1888. 

One of the first Sunday school mass meetings in Crittenden County was a denominational mass meeting held at Piney Fork Church about 1875.  The schools were represented as classes, and eac class sangy by itself.

The next meeting of this kind was held at Bethel Church in 1879.  It was called a Sunday School Celebration, and it was not denominational.

In the fall of 1880 another meeting was held at Piney Fork Church.  It was a very enthusiastic and full meeting.  The Rev. Crumbaugh, stated the relation in which he sttod to the couty as the representative of the Kentucky Sunday School Union, and the name of the b-annual meetings were changed from Celebration to Convention.

This was the origin of the organization of the Kentucky  Sunday School Union in Crittenden County.

The next convention was held at Chapel Hill in the spring of 1881.  Both of these meetings were largely attended and full of interest.

At the Hurricane Convention the county was divided into four districts and a district superintendent appointed for each.  This redistricting the county was due to the efforts of Uncle Wesley Minner.

At the Sunday School Convention that was held at Piney Fork July 9, 1896, these were some of the activities that were on the program.
  • Song service was lead by George M. Travis
  • Bible reading by W. A. Jacobs
  • Prayer by W. B. Crider
  • Piney Fork sang Fall into Line, followed by Piney Creek, Keep your Lamps Trimmed and Burning, followed by Crayneville, Bells Mines and Greens Chapel Classes
  • The Bible a Standard, given by Rev. H. B. Fox.  The speaker made many good points and opened the way for a good days work.
  • More music by Chapel Hill, Oak Grove and Dunn Springs classes.
  • All districts gave a report on their services
The next convention was appointed for Marion, but for a want of cooperation the convention was not held.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Dr. J. O. Dixon Home

Located at the end of East Carlisle Street is the family home of Dr. J. O. Dixon .

Dr. Dixon had this handsome residence built in 1901.  I always called it the Turret House.  No other information about the unusual architecture of the home is known.   It would be wonderful to know who drew up the plans for the home and what kind of architecture it was.

Myra Dixon was the daughter of Dr. Dixon and his wife, Mae Croft Dixon.  She later married Maurie Nunn.
Galen Dixon was the son.

Other families that have lived in the home after the Dixon's were: J. C. Bourland, Pinky Loyd and the Gleaford Rankin family.  Most people now remember the home as the Rankin home. 

After Mr. and Mrs. Rankin died, their daughter Mary Hall Rankin lived here.  She was an only child.  When she died she left the house to Donnie Winters.  He and his family live there now.

                                                          Ancient Tree from the front yard.

This ancient tree, which had probably been around as long as Marion has, was taken down in August 2009.  The tree was on the East side of the house facing N. Walker St.

There wasn't anything noticeable wrong with the tree, but after the ice storm destaster of Jan.-Feb. of that same year, many of Marion's oldest trees were cut down, in fear of other ice storms perhaps in the future.

But one can tell by the solid trunk that it was still a healthy tree.  It may be safer with it gone, but still a loss to Marion's past history to lose one of it's earliest trees.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Early Marion, Busy Town

Once, not even that long ago, Marion was a busy, business-filled town.  All of Main St. was filled with 2 banks, and all kinds of businesses that one could find all that was needed to fill your needs, whether for the farm, the home, or just for yourself.

This picture of Marion Main Street was made in the late 1940's.  This People's Bank, on the corner with all the windows, building was built in 1920 to replace the one that burnt in 1919.  The Bank front looked like this until 1971 when they enlarged and remodeled the whole building as it looks today.  

You can also see the Williams Dept. store name on their awning on the right.  Which today in the Law Offices of Frazer, Rogers and Peek.

 This picture also made in the 1940's, looking south from the corner of W. Bellville.  The court house would be to the right.  As one can see, it looks like all the parking places are filling from one end of the business district to the other.  

People are gathered at the court house square and also many are walking along the sidewalk on the left.  Amazing isn't it. 

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Baker School

The Baker School was located on Hwy. 365 or what most of us think of as Baker Church Road.  The school was located on the same site as the Baker Church is today.  Will Hughes gave the ground for the school location and perhaps the church too.  The school was started in the late 1880's.

 The old Baker School House, torn down in the late 1940's after the school had closed and the land went back to the owner.

Children attending Baker School were allowed to attend revival services at the Baker Baptist church, which was located across the road from the school.

The usual pie and box suppers were annual events for raising money to buy items needed for the school and perhaps some new playground equipment for the students.

Games played were leapfrog, ball, hopscotch, marbles or drop the handkerchief. 

Some of the families in the Baker School district were, Chandlers, Collins, Duncans, Jennings, Longs, McDowell, Nelson, Newcom, O'Neas, Phillips, Quertermous, Samuels, Scott, Vinson, Simpson, Truitt and Walker.

In the late 1940's the road was improved enough for school buses to travel, so the students at Baker school  and near-by Bells Mines school were taken to Mattoon.  The last teacher was Irene Truitt.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Railroad and Depot and Water Tower

This picture made in January 1981 shows a lot of past history for Marion and Crittenden County.  It was taken as a news item, for at this time in our history the Illinois Central Gulf railroad had filed for the abandonment of the railroad line.  

Later that year in Oct. 1981 the ICG railroad was allowed to shut down its 105-mile line stretching between Henderson and Princeton which also went through the heart of Crittenden County.

The old Deport was torn down just a few years later, I guess not considering that it might be turned into a historic landmark and could have been turned into something useful for the town.

The Marion water tower in the back ground, once seen from miles around, also would also be just a memory for it was no longer in use as the water source for the town.  The tower would be sold for scrap metal.  It came down in January 1981 also, probably soon after this historic picture was made.

The railroad crossing flashing light pole is still standing today on East Depot Street.  But that is all that is left of the items in the photo.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Blackford Shed and Families that Attended Camp

Not many people are left that remember the big camp days at the Blackford Church and camp grounds.  I have done a post on this church several years ago in 2009,  but didn't show the old shed or introduce you to some of the local families that attended church and camp here.

This is the old shed, it was really a large shed made from local timber and constructed by the local farmers. The sides were open and the roof was made also of wood and was covered with rolled roofing.  It was approximately 50 foot long and 20 feet wide.

It finally had to be torn down in the 1950's because it had deteriorated so bad and was really unsafe to use anymore.  The meetings then were moved back inside the church.

Standing along side the shed are some of the local families that lived in the surrounding area and attended church here and also the camp meeting.  This picture was made in the 1920's.

L-R.  1.  James Tosh, 2. Flora Tosh, 3. George Ford, 4. Bell (Brantley) Ford, 5. Leota (Thurman) Clark, 7. Finnie Orr, 8. Mrs. Jerry Belt, 9. Will Hughes, hold his son 10. John R., 11. Bessie Hinchee, 12. Bob Ford, 13. Mrs. Marty Ford, 14. Lizzie Ford, 15, Clarence Jeffreys, 16. Willis Brown, and 17. Manus Clark.