Monday, November 24, 2014

Frances School Visits Mammoth Cave, May 1931

Crittenden Press, May 22, 1931.

Twenty-eight people from Crittenden County, most of them students in the Frances High School made a trip to Mammoth Cave region.

 Bottom row: Henry Simpkins, (driver), Isabel Woodall Oldham, Reba Oliver Franklin, Augusta Hard Kirkwood, Naoma Farmer MItchell, Evelyn Herod Craighead.
2nd row: Hub Brown, Marian "Jim" Carter Pogue, William O. "Bill" Farmer, Carl "Pos" Ralston, Kelly Matthews, Ruth Hard Rogers, Evelyn Whitt Cruce.
3rd row: William E. "Happy Jack" Brasher, Milton Sorensen (has cap on), Boyd "Zeb" Ralston, Edward Ray (Principal), and wife, Joanna Mason Ray
4th row: Mr. Deboe, (visitor), Virginia Brasher (right behind Mr. Deboe), Myrtle Capps Brown, Mary Frances Pogue Stevens, Sue Mason, Opal Lee Vick Matthews, Velda "Jack" Matthews, Margie Fuller Fox, Minnie Belle Cruce Wheeler, Verna Mae Simpkins Brasher

They visited not only the Mammoth Cave National Park but two state parks, the Blue and Gray Park in Todd County and Jefferson Davis State Park at Fairview.

The entire crowd went in a truck driven by Henry Simpkins and the party camped out, taking with them their own food.  They were gone five days.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Early Rural Mailbox

Not to many years ago Crittenden County had many rural post offices and they meant a lot to the community.  All gone now but Crayne and Dycusburg and they are only open on a half-time basis.  Dycusburg in the morning, and Crayne in the afternoon.  These too will eventually fade away into our forgotten passages of time.

The late R. F. Wheeler of Marion, helped establish one of the first mail routes in Crittenden County from which some of the star routes grew.

This box was first located at the intersection of the Shady Grove and Porter Mill Rd.   On the left side of the metal box was a "penny case" on which a penny could be left when mailing a letter.

The letter was left in the "letter hook" inside the box.  The mail carrier would then stamp the letter and it was then on its way at a cost of only one penny.

This invention must have been a very modern convenience for the rural folks who weren't able to get to a community post office when they were in a hurry to mail a letter.  (This wonderful old piece of long ago history is on display at the Crittenden County Historical Museum.)

A letter that was post marked at the Shady Grove Post Office in 1947.

I love to see these old postmarks of long ago telling of the post office that they went through.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Honoring Our Veterans

The Veteran's Memorial that is located on the Courthouse square was dedicated in a special ceremony on Nov. 11, 1984.  It was sponsored by the local American Legion Post No. 111.

The marker, a black granite slab, was dedicated to the memory of all Crittenden County veterans who have died in wars this century.

Artwork, commemorating 
all five branches of the U. S. armed forces - Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard are engraved on the front of the marker.

On the date of the dedication, post members B. C. McNeely and Paul Sullenger removed a flag which had been draped over the marker prior to the ceremony.  Jimmy Watson lit five candles commemorating the efforts of the five branches of the American military.

Located close by the American Legion monument is a marble bench dedicated to Marion's National Guard unit.

Engraved on it "Defending Our Freedom" Co B 2nd Battalion 23rd Armor Kentucky Army National Guard" Marion, Ky.

The present day American Legion Post always has a meaningful Veteran's Day Program, but the Celebration's of yesteryear were very different.  Here is one that was in the Crittenden Press for Nov. 11, 1957.
Fohs Hall was the scene for a very colorful and interesting Veteran's Day assembly presented by the Marion American Legion Post.

After the student body and guests were seated, an honor guard, consisting of William Duke Taylor, J. R. Tharp, Wendell Travis and Guy Sullenger, presented the colors.  The Marion High School band played the National Anthem and then the pledge to the flag was given by all.  

Mr. William Allen, Judge advocate of the state, gave a stirring talk of wars starting with earlier ones and working up to the Korean conflict, and told the meaning of our Flag and what Veteran's Day will mean in years to come.

The band kept the theme of the day by offering their rendition of two patriotic numbers.

An American flag was presented to Mrs. Reba Gilliland, principal of Marion Grade School.  

To add to the celebration, the band marched from Fohs Hall to Main St., down Main to Carlisle, down Carlisle to the high school, playing the individual songs for each branch of the service.

Let us never forgot our brave soldiers and veterans and what they gave for us to have the freedoms we enjoy today. 

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Marion, A Thriving Town of Mercantile Establishments in 1926

This interesting article is from The Crittenden Press, Oct. 22, 1926.  Things were looks promising for the town of Marion.

Located in a beautiful valley, with just enough gently rolling hillsides to enhace its natural beauty, the little city is an attractive one. 

It is becoming and promises to continue to grown and become more attractive so as the residents, both native and adopted will continue to want to live here.  Her business enterprises are as thriving and as varied in their field of activity as are found in any community.

  • Banking Institutions.  The banking institutions are both splendid ones.  The Marion Bank stands on the southeast corner of the intersection of Main and Carlisle.  (now The People's Bank).    The officers of the Marion Bank are:  J. W. Blue, president; Sam Gugenheim, vice president; T. J . Yandell, cashier; Katherine Yandell Runyan, J. V. Threlkeld and Orville Lamb, assistant cashiers; Virginia Flanary Vaughan, bookkeeper.
  • The Farmers Bank and Trust Company stands on the northwest corner of Main and Carlisle and is the youngest of the two banks.  The building it now occupies, while not a very old one, has been recently remodeled and enlarged.  The officers of the Farmers Bank and Trust Company are: W. T. McConnell, president; R. F. Wheeler and C. C. Wheeler, vice presidents; O. S. Denny, cashier; Hollis C. Franklin, N. G. Guess and May Cook, assistant cashiers; Melba Williams, bookkeeper.
  • Dry Goods Stores - The Yandell-Gugenheim Dry Good Company; J. H. Mays and Sons, The McConnell Dry Good Store; The Carnahan Company; Taylor and Company; The H.V. Stone Company.
  •  Hardware - Two hardware stores are at present doing business in town.  The T. H. Cochran and Company hardware firm, located on Main Street, now consists of T. H. Cochran and L. E. Crider.  The assistants in the store now are Miss Clara Nunn, bookkeeper, and Dow Little salesman.
  • The Marion Hardware and Grocery Company devote one side of their building to their stock of hardware and the other to the grocery department.  The firm members are C. A. Daughtrey, E. F. Sullenger and W. D. Sulleger.  Mrs. Lee Mose is bookkeeper and Gabe Wathen asists as salesman.  The store is located on Bellville Street.
  • Hotel and Restaurants - Marion at the present has only one hotel, that being found aequate to the needs of the town.  A. S. Cannan is the owner and manager.  He has added to the original brick hotel on Carlisle the former Woods residence on the corner of Carlisle Street.  
  • The Sunrise Cafe occupies one section of the newly erected A. M. Shelby building on Bellville Street.  Guy G ivens is the propietor and has been in business at his new place only a short while although he is experienced in that business.
  • The newer of the two restaurants is the Marion Cafe, J. A. Elder, proprietor. Mr. Elder's business is located in Miss Mary Cameron's building on Main Street.  The building was formerly occupied by the Babb Cafe, owned by A. C. Babb.  Mr. Elder, the present manager is also police judge.
These are just a few of the many store that were located in  Marion in 1926.