Monday, December 29, 2014

Rosebud Methodist Church Closes

Sad to see another of our old country churches closing. Rosbud Church being 116 years old.

 It's usually for the same
 reason- not enough members to keep them open.

The last service for this church was Dec. 21, 2014, according to the article in The Crittenden Press, written by Editor, Daryl Tabor.  The articles says there was only a weekly attendance of four - which included two members in the pews, the pastor and his wife.

There is not much early history about the church.  The first church was built in 1898 on land donated by Mr. Ira Nunn.

From an old Press article dated, May 24, 1900, it says: Our new church at Rosebud will be dedicated the fifth Sunday in July.

This picture of the church was made in the 1970's.

I'm sure there are many memories these old country churches hold for all the members that once attended and participated in all the activities that were a part of the church.

If at a later date some news about what will happen to the church building is found out, I will put the information in a post.  It will be up to the Methodist Association as far as what will happen with the building.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Marion Days in 1931

Back in 1931 the city of Marion wanted a way to promote and advertise their many places of business.  They decided to have a special 3-day event, which would be called Marion Days.  For the event many of the businesses placed special ads in The Crittenden Press.  These ads tell us of the history of some of the local business those many years ago.
  • Yandell and Gugenheim - Local dry goods dealers, has the oldest mercantile establishment in Marion, this business being well over forty years old.  Partners in the business are W. B. Yandell, Samuel Gugenheim and R. B. Cook who are assisted in the business by Samuel A. Gugenheim and Ernest Butler.  (Today this building is the home of Frazer, Rogers and Peek Law Offices on the corner of Main and E. Carlisle St.)
  • Cochran's Is The Oldest Business - T. H. Cochran is the oldest hardware store in Marion.  This business is well and favorably known throughout this entire territory, not only for the high grade of materials in which they deal but the progressiveness and public spirited attitude of the owners, T. H. Cochran and L. E. Crider.  Cochran's store occupies two floors of their building on South Marin Street.  A large line of farming implements, stoves, kitchen ware, fencing, roofing and hardware staples is kept on hands at all times. (This store building sits empty today)
  • R. S. Elkins Is Proprietor of Marion Hardware Company.  The Marion Hardware and Grocery Company, the only such combination in Marion.  R. S. Elkins owner of the store, which moved early in the spring from Bellville Street to a Main Street location. 
  • Moore and Pickens - This store was started a number of years ago by Miss Mildred Moore and Miss Elvah Pickens, now Mrs. Weems Croft and Mrs. Frank Bennett.  Since the establishment of the business these two young ladies have had a satisfactory business, due to the kind of merchandise they handle and to the personality they put into the management of their business.
  • The Owl Sandwich Shop - Is Marion's "sandwich headquarters". This place, owned and operated y Emmett Koltinsky with the assistance of his wife, makes a specialty of various kinds of sandwiches, chili, etc.  A favorite gathering place for those noon-time meals away from the office.
  • Pugh's Variety Store - carries a complete line of novelties, kitchenware, dishes and toys as well as an assortment of hats and ladies and children's clothing.  This is a cash store and they have built up a good patronage in Marion.  Mr C. W. Pugh is from Sturgis and came to Marion and established the third of his variety stores, the other two being located in Sturgis and Clay.
  • Conoco Gas At Service Station in located on Marion Street.  It is under the management of M. W. Thomason.  He sells Conoco gasoline and oil.  In addition to this service the Super Service station specializes in greasing and aligning.

Monday, December 15, 2014

Eulanda, Historic Home

One of Crittenden County's oldest homes, "Eulanda" was once home to Eula Clement, daughter of John Randolph Clement and Feliciana Desdemona Nunn Clement.

According to the late county historian, Thomas Tucker,  John Randolph Clement contracted for the construction of the home in 1859 at a cost of $150.00  

 The builder, John Fowler, agreed to get the timber and construct a house 46' x 18' wide.  The original home consisted of three 17' x 17' rooms, a 10' x 17' hall and an ell-shaped porch.   The timbers supporting the floors were logs which had the bark left on them.  Sandstone from a nearby quarry was used for the foundation and the two chimneys at the house.  

One of Mr. Clement's four children was a daughter, Eula, who was born in the house.   She was born in 1882 and lived in the home almost up to the time of her death in June 1974. 

Mr. Tucker inherited the house after Miss Eula died, and he and his wife, Ethel, in the 1980's did a major renovation of the house by adding two bedrooms, two baths, a basement, and other modern conveniences.  They made Eulanda their summer home until 1985 when they sold the home and furnishings at auction.

The home since then has had several other owners, but Eulanda is still a beautiful home and definitely full of history.   The home is located on the Dam 50 Road (now S. R. 397).  The picture above was made in April of 2008.

An strange occurrence is that father and son both died from timber related accidents.
Father John Rudd Clement, got hunt in an accident at his sawmill.  He injured both his legs so badly that they had to be amputated, all they had for pain was whiskey, and in was given to him in excess and he died from it.   He is buried in the little family cemetery located near his home at Clementsburg, near the site of Dam 50.

Son, John Randolph Clement on March 9, 1894, met with a shocking accident and received injuries from which he died in a few hours.  His death came from a head injury received while prizing stumps from his meadow.  He is buried at the Mt. Zion Cemetery.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Joseph Newcom Family

Joseph Sylvestor "Ves" Newcom Family Home.  Wasn't it a beautiful home with all the gingerbread trim and the unique roof line with the wooden trim.  According to Glenn Newcom, descendent of Joseph, this picture was made about 1898.

Front row: Joseph Marion, Joseph "Ves"  holding May, Lena and Wlbur.  Standing in back: Clyde and Margaret (Lucas) Newcom, wife of  Joseph.  

Here is an interesting little article that appeared in The Crittenden Press, May 13, 1915.
Newcom's Family History.  Joseph Newcom, grandfather of the late Joseph Ves Newcom, was born in Scotland in the year 1767.  Hearing of America, the sturdy highlander with his bonnie bride determined to try their fortunes in the new county.  

Landing at New Orleans in 1795, they made their way up the Mississippi, Ohio, and Cumberland rivers and settled on the banks of a small tributary of the latter, in what is now Humphrey County, Tenn.   Here they lived till 1807, and they then, with their four living sons, one of whom was married, moved to Kentucky and settled in the community of what afterwards became Bells Miness.

Their son Joseph soon imigrated to Illinois, and with the excetion of occasional newspaper accounts, little is known of this family.

Dudley married and settled on what is now known as the Finis Black farm.  

William married and warranted the tract that afterward became the Steve Rutherford home. 

John went back to Tenn, married Sarah Price and settled on his father's land.  To this couple were born nine boys and five girls. The sons in order were as follows:  Dudley, John, Joseph, William, Wesley, Pleasant, Dennis, Alvin, and Newton.  The daughters were: Martha, Nancy, Betsy, Sarah, and Jame.

John remained in Tenn., until 1828, when he moved to this county and settled what is known as the lindle farm.

His third son, but fifth child, Joseph was born in Tenn., Jan. 7, 1825.  He married May Eliza Cain, oldest child of Charles S. Cain.  To this union was born eight children, seven sons and one daughter.  Two of these boys died while small.  John Albert, the third child, died while a young man, 27 years of age.  Joseph Sylvester, (our picture's home), the oldest living, resides near Weston.
Joseph Sylvester and his wife, Margaret Cain Newcom are buried in the Mt. Zion Cemetery.  Crittenden County.  Joseph died Jan. 24, 1929 and Margaret died July 24, 1929.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

When Whisky Was In Marion 1894-1906

In January of 1894, the newly elected Marion board of trustees, held their first meeting on January 2nd.  The board was composed of J. P. Pierce, J. H. Clark, S. Gugenheim, W. D. Cannon and H. H. Loving.  After the organization had been completed, C. E. Doss appeared before the board and requested a coffee house license be granted to his company of C. E. Doss & Co.  

A slip of paper was handed to each member of the board, and when the slips were collected four were for granting the licenses and one against; hence by a vote of 4 to 1, C. E. Doss & Co., was granted licenses to sell spirituous, vinous and malt liquors.  His tax license cost $500.00.

After four years of Marion being a dry county, ti was once again to have saloons by a vote of 4-1.  Since January 14, 1890, there had been no saloons in Marion, local option having been voted the August previous and since that there had been a standing fight between the wets and drys and when ever occasion offered in the courts or at the polls each had taken a whack at the other.  For four years the drys had practically held the long end of the string, but now it seems that the wets are to have their running.

Soon after this first granted request, several more appeared before the board and asked for license.  Here are some of the other business that were granted licenses to sell liquor.

 These are a few of the ad that appears in the old Crittenden Presses.

Once again in 1906, the vote came up again for staying wet or going back to being dry.  The people voted dray.  This topic being a controversy as long as can be remembered.

No 'legal' whiskey was sold in Marion after than although it wasn't until 1919 that prohibition came into effect.