The placing of Quilt squares on structures throughout Crittenden County has become very popular in the past two years. They started out as being called Barn Quilt Squares and were only placed on barns. Lately they have been showing up on homes, garages, and all kind of out buildings.
The latest addition of these beautiful and colorful pieces have been placed on a local church, Marion Christian Church, on West Bellville Street.
They were placed there by a member of the church, Merle Myers, as a tribute to her late husband Jim Myers, who died in March of last year.
The quilt squares also serve as a nod to the state's quilting heritage and the church's participation each year in is displaying quilts during Marion's Back-roads Tour and Festival, each April.
This church building was built by a Methodist congregation, the Methodist Episcopal Church South, in 1890 after a storm destroyed their first church. The Methodists worshiped there until April 12, 1912 when they moved into their present church on College Street.
Various organizations used the building until it was sold to the Christian Church congregation in 1947.