Piney Fork church will celebrate 200 years of being a Cumberland Presbyterian Church on Saturday, April 28, 2012. It's the oldest church in Crittenden County and the first Cumberland Presbyterian church organized in the state of Kentucky.
The church is in the Piney Fork community, six miles east of Marion on S.R. 506. Piney Fork was a community established in the late 1700's.
Piney Fork Cumberland Presbyterian Church's history begins in May of 1810, when John Travis and several other people from the vicinity of Piney Fork decided to organize a church connected with the new Cumberland Presbyterian denomination.
The church was best known for its annual camp meetings which began in 1812 and continued until 1955. The old shed that was built to hold 1,000 people was torn down in 1970, due to severe damage done to the roof after a heavy winter snow.
The church in the picture at the top, was the 3rd church, built in 1867 from brick made on the grounds. The first two structures were built of logs, and both were destroyed by fires.
The picture at the right is the 4th and present church building built in 1957.
Happy 200th Anniversary to the Historic Piney Fork Cumberland Presbyterian Church.