This picture was marked as the last time the Court House and Clerk's office would be seen this way.
They would soon be torn down to make way for the new Court House.
The little building to the left of the Court House had been standing since about 1843, soon after the county was formed. Although remodeled and changed in appearance it still had the same bones as the original building. When it was torn down it was noted as the oldest building in Marion still in use.
Picture made around 1890 on Carlisle Street. You can see the same building in this picture and the side of the Court House.
Although the Court House was burnt twice the small County Clerk's office building was saved, so it's records were spared, still available for us to enjoy today. We are so fortunate to have these records. Caroline Byford, our County Clerk, does her best to preserve these records. Many have been re-bound and put in archival sheet protectors, such as the earliest deeds beginning 1842 and the 1842 marriage records.