Remember the old post cards that were available for tourists to buy to send back home to let everyone know what a great time they were having, or maybe to let them know what state they were in.
Marion's own little Tourotel had their own post cards back in the 50's. It's fortunate that some people saved these old cards and you can find them at antiques shops and on e-bay on the internet.
Mr. and Mrs. William Tobin opened the Tobin Tourotel in November 1951. It was located just a short distance from downtown on Hwy. 60 North. When it was built it was completely modern and an outstanding and up-to-date Tourotels in this section of the state.
The Tobin's built it to fill a void in town. In the 1950's there was hardly any place for a traveler to spend the night. The fluorspar industry was fading, but there were still lots of businessmen in and out of town. At the time Shell Oil Co., was drilling around the county, looking for oil. With geologists and drillers in and out of town for a lengthy period of time, they needed a nice place to stay. So the Tobin's built the tourotel so that Marion would have a local place for visitors to stay.