The old newspapers of yesteryear are interesting to read. The front pages are full of all kinds of information that tells us what was happening in our town at that time. In the January 29, 1926 edition of The Crittenden Press the news of the first meeting of the new court was shared with the readers.
Last Friday County Judge L. E. Waddell, called the magistrates of the county to a meeting of the Fiscal Court and presided over the deliberations of that body. Though the day was bitter cold, following one of the heaviest snow storms of the winter, every member was present except J. L. Rankin, of Fords Ferry. Long disagreeable rides on horseback, or in a buggy, held no terrors for these staunch men who had promised to look after the financial interests of the county for the next four years.
From way out near Rosebud came Squire W. A. Newcom; T. H. Chandler from near Sugar Grove; from Dycusburg neighborhood came C. B. Daughtrey; C. H. Bealmear from near Levias; U. S. Graves came in from his home in the Oak Hall community; P. P. Paris from near Hill Springs and W. H. Hardesty from the Tolu section.
The new members of the court, after the first few minutes to get adjusted, conducted themselves like veterans in the discussion of the county affairs.
County Clerk D. A. Lowry looked after the clerical duties connected with the meeting, and County Attorney Edward D. Stone was present in his official capacity.
Though this was the first meeting of the court that County Judge Waddell has been called on to preside over he held the reins governing the deliberations as quietly and calmly as if he had spent a lifetime presiding over such bodies.
Adjournment was then taken for the day, as the members had a long way to travel to get to their homes and evening chores.