Dempsey School was located in the Northern part of the county. It was located off of S. R. 365 on the Long Branch Road. The school property is a part of the homeplace of the Elmer Gahagen family. Conditions were rather harsh during the early school days; pupil often walked three miles one way to school. There was no water supply much of the time and water was carried from a spring a mile away. The building sat off the ground some two feet with no underpinning, which created a severe heat problem in the winter. The last teacher at Dempsey was Irene Truitt. The school closed in 1941 and was consolidated with the Baker school.
Dempsey School about 1890.
Front row: 1. Dock Truitt, 2. Unknown, 3. Chess Truitt, 4. 5. 6. Unknown
7. Iva Hicklan, 8. Unknownn 9. Addie Nunn, 10. Harriet Nesbitt, 11. Clara Nunn, 12. 13. Unknown
14. Corda Wheeler, Teacher 15. Deddie Sullivan 16. Cora Sullivan 17. Unknown 18. Julia Truitt 19. Ella Sullivan 20. Elva Truitt 21. Jettie Nunn 22. Duff Sullivan 23. Elmer Gahagen 24. Lacy Nunn 25. Trip Dempsey 26. Unknown 27. Lucian Truitt 28.& 29. Unknown 30. Mr. Eli Nunn, Trustee and father of students, Addie, Clara, Jettie and Lacy Nunn.
This wonderful old school picture is really a treasurer because most of the people are identified in it. With so many of these old school pictures no one is identified, and now it's too late to ever find the identify of the students.