Marion has lost another one of it's historical homes. Although it had been in a sad state for several years, the old Rochester home in East Marion was torn down in May 2010. The name Rochester is another one of the early prominent family names in Marion's early history, but now has disappeared from our families living here.
The Rochester family came to Marion soon after it was a town. William H. Rochester set up Marion's first machinist shop in 1845. He purchased a two-hundred-fifty acre farm off the northeast corner of Marion in 1853 which now includes much of the present northeast quarter of the city. This is in the area of the Town and Country Riding Club subdivision and near the present day City Park.
One of William's children build the house in the picture above. It was located on Rochester Street (named for the family) and sat next to the National Guard Armory. The house was built in the early 1900's or late 1890's. In 1904 Judge J. G. Rochester lived there and he added a second story to the home. The name of the home was Waveland.
In 1915, Miss Vivian Rochester gave a delightful lawn party at her suburban home "Waveland". The time was spent in playing games and refreshments were served by Miss Elizabeth Rochester. This home was the scene of many a family gathering and good times.
Sometime earlier this year a notice was sent out that the Armory had purchased the Rochester House on Rochester Avenue and it would be demolished. They didn't say the reason for purchasing the land or tearing down the old home. But they were true to their word. This is all that was left on May 24, 2010.