Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rosebud Methodist Church

Another one of Crittenden County pretty rural churches is the Rosebud Methodist Church located about 10 miles from Marion on Highway 60 East.

Here is some history of this church. The first church was a log church build on 1 1/2 acres of ground donated by Mr. Ira Nunn. The exact year in not known.

In 1898 a new church was built and was called Rosebud Methodist church. Mrs. Nida King, a member of the church, painted a glass window pane with a rosebud for the new church. It was dedicated July 29, 1900.

In 1956 the church was remodeled with brick and looks like the picture you see above. On the left is a close up of the hand painted rosebud window. The church is still being used today.

On the hill behind the church and on both sides is the Rosebud Cemetery. It is a very large and well kept cemetery and has many Crittenden County pioneer family members buried here.

No comments: