It all started in March 1950, when citizens of Crittenden County, members of civic clubs, namely, Kiwanis, Rotary and Business and Professional Women's Clubs realized the economy of Crittenden County was dwindling, the population decreasing and our young people, especially young high school graduates, were leaving the county and even the state to make their ambitions a reality.
The fluorspar industry was dwindling and there were no other industries to take it's place. At that time all major fluorspar mines in the county except one, had closed for future use. This affected more than 1,000 people directly or indirectly, and caused the number of unemployed to surge to a high number. These were desperate thoughts and the time was right for doing something.
Then with the efforts of the clubs and combined efforts of Boyce Moodie, Jr., Salem, and R. E. Rodgers, Marion, a search was started for new industries. Moodie and Rodgers purchased the site and building of The Corod Minerals Corporation, on the outskirts of Marion hoping to interest an industry as a tenant. (This building is located on, what is today, Moore St. Later this same building would house the new Potter & Brumfield plant)
Negations were made with several companies but nothing was available until May 1950 when an ad appeared in The Paducah Sun Democrat, the name of the concerned was not disclosed, but it was for a company in search of a location for a branch site within 75 miles of Cairo, Illinois. The always alert Business and Professional Women's Club answered the ad with Rodgers' and Modie's permission to quote dimensions of their available building.
Rodgers and Moodie and other citizens of Marion were successful in their negotiations and about Sept. 1, 1950, it was disclosed that Moore Business Forms, Inc., had chosen Marion to locate its branch plant. Thus, the first industry to bolster the waning economy of the fluorspar industry.
It wasn't long until the company had outgrown it's first location and a new, larger, more modern building was built near the main Highway, Hwy. 641. It was a wonderful business to have in Marion, it provided jobs for many Crittenden County families, and gave the opportunity for people to stay and live in their own hometown.
The plant continued until the end of 1984, when the management announced that it's manufacturing plant here would could be the end of the year. Many people lost their positions or had to be transferred to other locations if they wanted to continue their jobs with the company. It was a devastating blow to the county and many surrounding families as well.