Friday, May 29, 2009

Crittenden County Court Items -1897

Crittenden County Court Happenings

Here are some interesting items from the county court meetings in the late 1800's. They are from the files of The Crittenden Press.

Jan. 14, 1897
  • The will of J. N. Woods was probated; the subscribing witnesses are H. A. Haynes and W. I. Cruce. After providing for the payment of all just debts, and funeral expenses the first sections of the will reads: "I then give and bequeath unto my beloved wife, Mary A. Woods, all of my estate of every kind, both real and personal and mixed, and chooses in action, to be used and enjoyed by her as she may think best for and during her natural life. The second section, bequeaths one dollar each to all the nephews and nieces of the testator. The will provides that should the testator survive his wife, and make no other will the property should go to his step-daughter, Harriet A. Cameron, and her children.
  • The will of H. P. Long was probated, C. S. Nunn and W. I. Cruce are the subscribing witnesses. After providing for the payment of all just debts and funeral expenses the residue of the estate is bequeathed to the wife of the deceased, Mary Long, "to be used and enjoyed by her as she may think best for and during her natural life. The third section is as follows: "Out of the property that is remaining at the death of my wife, Mary Long, I will to my daughter, Anna Door, wife of R. F. Dorr, $100, to my daughter Mollie Davis, wife of Henry David, $300.00 After payment of the above bequests, then will all of my remaining property to be divided equally between Anna Dorr, Mollie Davis, Nannie Foster and Sallie Wigginton - the last two being my stepdaughters.

April 13, 1899.

The will of the late T. J. Flanary was probated. The instrument bears date of May 20, 1882, in brief, it is as follows:

  • I will that after my death all of my just debts and funeral expenses shall be paid.
  • I will that my daughter, Julia A. Franks shall have out of my estate the sum of five dollars, and no more.
  • I will to my daughter, Susan F. Flanary, by second wife, out of my estate the sum of five dollars and one good horse and two beds and bedding but no more.
  • I will all the balance of my estate, both real and personal, mixed, moneys, notes and accounts, whether in the State of Kentucky or elsewhere, to my son Robert Edwin Flanary, to him and his heirs forever.
  • R. E. Flanary was appointed administrator, and Messrs. L. C. Terry, Simon Stalion and J. F. Stalion were appointed appraisers of the estate.

No comments: