This picture is of the second Mt. Zion Church building, the first being blown down in the cyclone of March 1890.
The charter members were Rylan Heath and wife, William Hill, wife and son, Dr. Bristow and wife, William Hughes, Ezekiel Porter, James Broadfoot and wife and Ingram Lucas. Patsy Hughes, J. B. Hill, James T. Taylor and wife came in later on.
The writer is under the impression that old brother Ira Nunn and wife were also charter members, as services were held at his house and also at Dr. Bristow's before the church was built.
When the log house was built Uncle Highly Gilbert helped to cut down the first tree that was put in the building. He was just a boy at that time and died a member of the church.
Mount Zion can well be called the mother of Methodism in this county. On January 25, 1859, a deed was made to the Church and Masonic Fraternity by William Williams and wife for the sum of five dollars and was recorded in 1864 by Berry S. Young.
Brother Big Truitt was one of the pillars of the Church. He went out from this Church to preach the gospel He did not live long but he lived a true Christian life, and many will rise up in that Day to call him blessed.
On March 27, 1890 the church was blown down by a cyclone, this being the second church. Then more land was secured and deed made by Robert Heath in 1901, L. R. Hughes, J. W. Cook and G. P. Wilson, trustees. Then a new house was built and was dedicated by Rev. J. W. Bigham.