In the early 1950's Marion was a busy and industrious town. There were many stores and all different kinds of businesses. Car dealership, tractor dealerships, just most anything anyone could want could be found in Marion.
One of our old businesses was the Chipps Bros Implement Company. It was an International Harvester Co. dealer from 1896 to 1960. The firm was started in Livingston County with a store at Bayou, Ky under the ownership of W. E. Chipps Sr. In 1938 one of his sons, L. D. Chipps, opened an implement store in Burna, Ky. He was joined in the business by his brother J. C. Chipps in 1945.
The Marion store, was opened April 1947 and managed by L. D. Chipps.
Employees were left to right: Pedro Conger, Robert Qualls, Marion Moore, Bill Evans, Virgil Guess, Marian VanPelt, Lewis Chipps (owner) Grover Fuller and Easley Hill.
After this store closed it was purchased and opened as the Southern States Store with J. T. May, owner.
(these pictures are from the Crittenden County Pictorial History Book, used with permission)