Another one of our little country schools was Lone Star School. The school was in operation by the late 1880's and in the year 1903 there were 77 students on the school census.
The families of Woodall and Hill lived in this area and they had 28 of the 77 children attending school there. Many of the other families were also related. They included children from the families of Boone, Jennings, Campbell, Rushing, Parmley, Harris and Crider.
The school was located about half-way between Crayne Cemetery Road and S. R. 1107 on the Lone Star Road.
There has never been a picture located of just the school, but several school groups have been made by the school or on the steps of the old school.
This picture was made about 1943 and these students were in the 8th grade.
Left to Right: Teresa Hill, Dorothy Jennings, Clara Mae Woodall and James Belt. (Later Clara Mae returned to the school as a teacher in the 1950's.)
Wonder what ever happened to the bell that you see in the picture.
The school was closed in 1958 and one of the Woodall family bought the old wooden building, tore it down and used the lumber to build other things on his farm.
Today all that remains of the once busy little school is the old iron pump still standing in the field where the school sat.
Picture made in 2012.