Some Marion and Crittenden County folks that have left their mark in history by being so respected and admired that they have items of significance named for them. Here are a few:
The Pogue Library at Murray State University.
The Pogue Library was completed in 1931. It was named in honor of Dr. Forrest C. Pogue, a 1931 Murray State University alumnus. Dr. Pogue was a nationally know historian and biographer of General George C. Marshall. Dr. Pogue was a pioneer in oral history techniques, interviewing not only combat troops buy also many world leaders. He also wrote several books on World War II military generals and United State history. In 1998, he donated his books, personal papers and memorabilia to the library.
Although born in Eddyville, Ky, the son of Forrest Carlisle Pogue, Sr. and Fanny Carter Pogue, he grew up the community of Frances. Here he went to elementary school and secondary school, except when he transferred to Dycusburg for his senior year because his grandfather was principal there.
Dr. Pogue died Oct. 6, 1996 and is buried in the family plot at the Frances Cemetery, Frances, Ky.
The Lowry Center at Murray State University
Clifton Sigsbee Lowry, son of David Allen and Martha Clift Lowery, was born in Caldwell County but the family moved to Crittenden County when Clifton was six years old. He grew up in Crittenden County. Clifton started his education at Bowling Green in their new Education Department, earned his bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees from the University of Kentucky and a master's degree from Harvard University.
He began his teaching career at Murray in the Social Sciences Department on Sept. 10, 1925, when the institution was named Murray Normal School. He was on the faculty during all stages of the school's history, as a normal school, teachers' college, college and university.
The Lowery Library Annex at the university was named in his honor in 1967 and the Dr. C. S. Lowry Distinguished Lecture in the Humanities was created after his retirement.
Dr. Lowry's parents are buried at Mapleview Cemetery. He died in 1992 and is buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Caldwell Co.
Walter E. Blackburn Science Building at Murray State University.
Dr. Blackburn became head of the Department of Physical Sciences at Murray in 1945 . He became chairman of the chemistry Department in 1958, Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences in 1968, and Dean of the College of Environmental Sciences in the reorganized university structure. He became well-known for his work in directing National Science Foundation Summer Science Institute on the campus and was awarded the coveted Distinguished Professor Award by the Murray State Alumni Association in 1967.
Blackburn died in September 1974 at Murray. His parents are buried in the Mapleview Cemetery.
Franklin College – at Murray State University
Mr. Hollis Franklin died Dec. 2, 1958 and is buried in the Mapleview Cemetery.