Sometime in the 1970's the Marion Methodist Church had a series of Historic Plates printed as a fun raiser for their church. Today these beautiful plates are a collector's item, at least for folks here in the Crittenden County area, and I would guess for anyone that was from Crittenden County would have a love for these plates. There were four of them printed. Marion Methodist Church, Marion High School, Fohs Hall, and the U.S. Presbyterian Church (the oldest church building in Marion, and home of the Historical Museum). The first three seem to always be surfacing around the area, but the one of the old Presbyterian Church has not been located or seen anywhere for several years.
The Crittenden County Historical Museum is the proud owner of the Marion Methodist Church, Marion High School and Fohs Hall. These display plates are not only beautiful to look at but on the reverse side it gives the history of the building it displays.
On the back of the plate: Marion Methodist Church.
The Methodist Episcopal Church South, Marion, Kentucky was organized in the 1860's. Presiding Elder L. B. Davidson told Mrs. Kitty D. Hodge to get ten members and he would organize the church legally. The first services were held in the Court House. In the 1870's a frame church was erected on what is now West Bellville. This building was destroyed by lightening and replaced by a brick building about 1881. Due to defects in architecture it was torn down and in 1891 another brick church was completed. The present building was built and dedicated May 12, 1912. In 1939 the Southern and Northern Methodist were consolidated and thereafter this church was known as Marion Methodist.
History of Marion High School
The fist building housing a graded grammar and high school in Marion, Kentucky was dedicated Saturday, January 19, 1895. January 21 the school opened with 266 pupils. The faculty consisted of Mr. Charles Evans, Superintendent and six teachers. The school board consisted of W. B. Yandell, H. A. Haynes, J. M. Freeman, J. W. Blue, Jr., and R. C. Walker, who served for about ten years. The first class to graduate were Edward Davis Gray and Perry D. Maxwell in 1896. The old moot congress, in which the high school and the eight grade were formed into a body modeled after the United States Government held regular Monday night sessions. These sessions drew great interest. The present building was completed in 1939.
Fohs Hall was a gift of F. Julius Fohs to the people of Marion and of Crittenden County, Kentucky. Mr. Fohs formally presented his gift to Marion, the home of his childhood, on Saturday, October 23, 1926. The address of the day was made by Dr. Charles Evans, founder of the Marion Schools.
"Ferdinand Julius Fohs, who gave this building to Marion, has achieved life's true great victories, one the development of a clean and rounded character, the other a life of useful service. To him, a faithful son, a true father, a distinguished scientist, citizen and benefactor, the people of Marion place this tablet in grateful tribute. 1926."