Wednesday, January 27, 2021

E. Jeffrey Travis, a Progressive Teacher - 1927

An interesting old article from the Crittenden Press dated, August 29, 1927.   Especially interesting to me as E. Jeffrey Travis was my grandfather.  He died when I was only 8 years so I didn't get to know him, and all his stories and history was lost to me.  It's always nice when I find something about him in the old Presses.


 

E. Jeffrey Travis, principal of the Bell Mine's school, in a letter enclosing some news items written by his school students, said, "I am trying to interest my pupils in reading papers and especially the Press.  I am using the Press in my school as a part of my language lessons."

 The gathering and writing of news as done by Mr. Travis' students is one of the most practical means of teaching English, and even a beginning of journalism, that has been attempted in any school, no matter what size, in this county.

Mr. Travis is also teaching an important lesson in good citizenship in encouraging the reading of newspapers and especially the local one.  A real interest will be created when the pupils see their work has been read and appreciated.

The Crittenden Press is glad of the opportunity of cooperating with Mr. Travis or with any other teacher in this sort of work. 

No comments: