Some interesting county road names and their origin.
- Flynn's Ferry Road - As named in the County Court Order book, dated 1845, had already been established and was probably the earliest trail through the county. It was George Flynn, who opened his Ohio River ferry in 1803, and caused the widening of the trace or trail into a wagon road. This wagon road was improved all the way from Flynn's Ferry landing to the the home of William Prince, who lived at the big spring, which later became the site of Princeton. When the early pioneer migration started the Flynn's Ferry Road became the main highway for the overland-traveling pioneers to Illinois and the trans-Mississippi region to the west and northwest, and it is said that a covered wagon was always visible on this road.
- Ford's Ferry Road - Was named after James Ford that ran a ferry from the Kentucky side to the Illinois side of the river. In the early days before we were Crittenden County, this was also a main trail that was traveled to get to Fords Ferry in order to cross the river to the Illinois side. The little village where the ferry was located was also named Ford's Ferry.
- Daniel's Ridge Road - Was named for the Drury M. Daniel family that lived there. The Daniel's family was an early pioneer family that came to Crittenden County from Bedford Co. Tennessee in 1850 and settled in the area. Drury M. Daniel was a country Doctor, he was engaged in the practice of medicine in the county for 24 years.
- Cotton Patch Hill Road - According to Uncle Bob Heath, an old gentleman of years past, tells us that in the 1800's a wild, fierce woman, named Mrs. Clayton settled on what we know as Cotton Patch Hill. Here she built a cabin, hunted wild animals, and cleared and fenced about an acre of ground on which she planted cotton. After living on the hill a few years she went away as suddenly as she came. After she left the hill was always referred to as "Cotton Patch Hill."
- Nunn Switch Road - Back in the 1880's the family of Samuel and Sarah Nunn lived in this area. In 1886, the Illinois Central Railway bought their home place and some of their land, as it was needed for the new railorad that would be coming through the county. The extra land was needed for a place to build a depot and loading pens. After the Nunn's sold part of their land to the railroad the depot was built there, and it was given the name of Nunn's Swith.