Monday, June 26, 2017

Blackburn United Baptist Church

Blackburn United Baptist church, was organized October 5, 1886, with 30 charter members.  Most of these charter members had been baptized by Rev. Elisha Bell Blackburn.  Thus the church was named after Rev. Blackburn.

In July 1887, the first delegates were elected to the Ohio River Association.  

In February 1888, a committee was selected to raise money for missionary purposes.  Even though women were not allowed to speak at business meetings, they never the less were very active in the life of the church.

In 1918, Mrs. Alpha Tudor, Mag Warren, and Bill Stembridge were appointed to purchase an organ. 

 In June 1920, Mr. G. T. Boyd, J. W. Tosh and Bill Warren served on a committee to purchase a large bell.  

This bell was rung to notify the community that services were being held.  It would also be rung for graveyard cleanings and for deaths in the neighborhood.

This original building burned in Feb. 1960.  Worship services were held in the home of Mrs. Mabel and Walter Hopkins until another church could be constructed.

By July of that same year, a 29 foot by 40 foot concrete block building was completed and a concrete base and platform was built to place the bell.

This large, heavy bell was stolen in 1988 and has never been recovered.  A shame it was stolen and taken from it's home.

With the passing of most of the older members, regular worship services  had to be discontinued but special meetings were still held at the church.  

The Blackburn Church Cemetery is located on church ground just uphill from the little block building.  Many of the former church members are buried in this cemetery.

No comments: