A post office was established in Marion, in 1843 and it was called Oxford. It is believed this was the post office of old Livingston County that was at Oxford Academy, which was located near the former Piney creek Baptist Church site on Flynn's Ferry Road (now State Road 1077).
Early history states that the academy was named Oxford from its teacher, or teachers that were from Oxford, New York.
From other past history recorded the Oxford Academy must have been in the former site of the Brown Academy which was closed in 1824.
As you can imagine, history in this time period is hard to located.
Since the new town of Marion was not on a main mail state road until after its incorporation, its mail was sent eastward to be mailed from the post office at Oxford Academy on the Flynn's Ferry Road.
When the new post office was established at Marion on April 29, 1843, Sumner Marble was the Postmaster. The mail was postmarked Oxford until April 14, 1846, when the named was changed to Marion, alsmost two years after the towns incorporation.
Postmasters during this time were Sumner Marble, April 29, 1843, James M. Smith, July 12, 1844, and Milo L. Smith, Dec. 16, 1845.
The post office was discontinued from January 21, 1862, during the Confederate occupancy and then reestablished again on April 2, 1862 under David N. Stinson, and has been in continuous operation ever since, although at different locations.
This is believed to be the Post Office, book store, and home of Mr. George Perkins when was postmaster in 1859-1861.
It sat on the southwest side of the court house, where the Ambassadors of Christ Church is located today.