Seems are fair county has always had a problem keeping are roadways in good traveling condition. In the 1920's the conditions of the roads were a main topic that was always talked about and discussed.
Local citizens that had moved to other states in search of good jobs would could back home and complain the whole time about how awful our roads were.
The people in Crittenden County had grown tired of listening through the years to the multiplicity of disparaging remarks, which had been made about our creek bed roads. They set about to try and do something about this so Crittenden County got aboard the good roads band wagon.
Here are some interesting items found in The Crittenden Press about the improvement of our roads.
The pike team headed for Crayne.
Nov. 25, 1921 - Crittenden's First Pike, Marion Road.
A section of the pike teams passed through Marion headed for Crayne where the gang will be located and work will proceed each way from that point. The men, teams and tools are located at Crayne and actual work on Crittenden's first pike begun Monday. Mr. W. R. Cruce, who worked persistently and valiantly for this road, and to him the whole citizenship is debtor, placed the first shovel of dirt on the road.
April 1924 - Sheridan Road Improved
Progressive communities and good roads go hand in hand. Crittenden is fast taking her place and counties with superior roads. Get in a car and drive out one of her highways toward Princeton or Salem and Paducah. During the past week we have witnessed some splendid work on the Sheridan-Tolu road, one of the most desperate roads of history. The work has only started, yet the improvement will measure 100 percent. A moderate amount of continual work will make it possible for the teamster to pull 4000 pounds with greater ease than he has for months. Then if one drives out this way in a car he can do so with comfort and cease criticism of the county roads.
July 1927 - Work Starts on Federal Road 60
Work was started this week on the surfacing of the Marion-Salem portion of United States highway Number 60. Ben E. Clement, of the Holly Fluorspar Company, holds the contract for the graveling of the slightly more than eight mile section of road. The first loads of crushed rock were laid this week.
December 1927 - Funds for Road To Dycusburg
The dream of a hard surfaced road to Dycusburg will soon be a reality, according to County Judge L. E. Waddell, who has made public a list of the donors to the fund to be used in the construction of this road. A partial list of those contributing: J. A. Graves, M. E. Stephenson, T. W. Brown, W. W. Bennett, Claude Fletcher, J. C. Brasher, J. E. Shadowen, L. C. Brasher, James Riley, Elmer Parish, M. F. Pogue, W. I. Tabor, J. H. Beavers, A. H. Shadowen, J. M. Polk, C. L. Lindsey, Harlan Peek, J. L. Patton, G. C. Oliver, and J. H. Beavers, to name a few interested citizens that contributed.
December 1927 - Plans Laid for New State Road To Shady Grove
A proposed bill, which was drawn up by Edward D. Stone, Crittenden attorney, establishing a primary road project, a road leading from Marion to Shady Grove. The road would extend from Marion to Shady Grove, starting at the Masonic corner in Marion, goes east to the end of Bellville Street and follow in the general direction of the old Shady Grove Road by way of Tribune and Deanwood into Shady Grove where it connects with other state highways to Princeton, Providence and Madisonville.