Chapel Hill School
This school was located on the Chapel Hill Road about 4 miles from Marion. This school house was build in 1880 and was taken down in the early 1960's. The land for the school was given by Thomas Hill. When the school was disbanded in 1950 the land went back to the heirs of Mr. Hill. The land next went to Charles Conditt, and now it belongs to the children of Mr. Conditt.
Some of the teachers were Alvis Stevens, Ada Hill LaRue in 1905, Elvah Hill Walker in 1906 and 1907, Ed Clark in 1911, Fred Stone in 1912, Ruth Melton in 1913, Dorothy Dean Cook in 1920, Ilena Walker in 1927, Georgia Helen Cochran and Kathryn Terry in 1928, Rudell Nunn in 1921, James Walker in 1933, Edna Franklin in 1934, George Conditt in 1941, Christine Conger in 1942.
No school was held in 1943 due to shortage of teachers. Students either attended Crayne or Marion Schools.
Mildred Paris was the last teacher to teach there in 1950, then the school was disbanded in 1950 and students attended Crayne.
Some Chapel Hill community news items for the archives of The Crittenden Press. Times were different in these earlier days. Communities were a close net group due to their visiting with each other and keeping in touch daily. Times surely moved at a slower pace than today, when one hardly has time to make a speedy phone call, much less a leisurely visit.
May 4, 1934.
- Mr. and Mrs. Haynes Bebout and children were the Sunday guests of Mr. and Mrs. Pruitt Adams.
- Mr. and Mrs. Earl Patmore and children visited Mr. and Mrs. Orban Taylor.
- Mrs. John Pierce and son, Jack and Jimmie, of Winston-Salem N. C. are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Tilford Bigham.
- Misses Iva and Hilda Long spent Tuesday in Princeton.
- Mary Jewell Patmor spent Wed. with Dorothy Helen Beard.
July 2, 1937
- Rev. McKee Thomson filled his regular appointment here last Sunday.
- Mrs. Iva Long returned Sunday morning from Detroit, Mich., after a three weeks visit with her sister, Mrs. Bob Dunn.
- Mrs. Ada Ross of Denver, Colorado is visiting with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lee Hughes.
- Mr. and Mrs. Howard Minner and son, Bobby and Miss Ruby Bigham of Akron, Ohio, will arrive Friday for a few days visit with Mrs. Susan Bigham.
- Mr. and Mrs. Lester Bigham and children, Clayton and Leon, were the last Sunday guests of Mrs. Susan Bigham.
- Mr. and Mrs. Gene Dorroh and daughters, Dorothy and Norma Gene and Mary Dee and Joanna Adams were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Pruitt Adams and Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Adams.
May 6, 1938
- Mr. and Mrs. Will Ward and daughter, Hazel, Mr. and Mrs. Burrel Walker of Marion, Mr. and Mrs. Gene Dorroh and daughter, Dorothy, Glenna and Norma Gene, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Dorroh and son, James Robert, Mr. and Mrs. Allie Myers of Crayne attended church here last Sunday.
- Mrs. H. O. Hill died at her home Monday evening, May 23rd, 1938. She is survived by her husband, 3 daughters, Mrs. Odis LaRue of Marion, Mrs. Raymond Fox of Manilla, Ark., a son Earl Hill, of Canton, Ohio, 3 brothers, L. E. and Jake Crider of Marion, Albert Crider of Shreveport, La., one sister, Mrs. Sallie Crider.