Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A Few Of Marion's Young Business Men of 1902

                                   J. H. Morse
The handsome stores and office building of Marion are largely the result of Mr. Morse's architectural and building skill.

With an abiding confidence in the future of our handsome city, he very early undertook the remodeling and beautifying of many of our old style and poorly constructed buildings.

The streets of Marion are lined with reconstructed and handsome business houses, due to his foresight in preparing for the future.

Mr. Morse's experience in mercantile life has also been one of entire success.

He has handled during the past nine years as many as sixteen stocks of goods purchased from as many merchants retiring from business, and has disposed of the entire lines.

Mr. Morse is agent for the Home Fire and Tornado Insurance Company, of New York, and his work has been most satisfactory in every way.

He has offices at Pickens, Cavender & Pickens dry good store.
       James S. Henry
The sale of an interest in an exceedingly promising lead prospect over the Ohio River in Illinois for six thousand dollars has brought Mr. Henry into prominence as a successful mining man.

Born at Madisonville, Ky., he received his education at the Marion High School in this city.  

From the school to the technical work of a worker in marble and to a business life in the fire insurance line, was the preparation he received for his work in the mining field.

Twenty-six years of age, the last four being passed in a prospector's life, he has made many friends and many dollars.

He has all the make-up physically and mentally for his chosen work, and will no doubt achieve success. 
                    Levi Cook
A graduate of Marion High school supplemented by a three years course at the Lebanon, Ohio, Normal, his strong liking for anything pertaining to machinery finally led him into the production of fine timekeepers.

Entering as an apprentice in the works at Morganfield, Mr. Cook, in due course of time, became as he is at present, one of the most practical and expert jewelers and watchmakers in the State.

For five years he has presided over his fine jewelry establishment on Main Street.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Marion's National Guard Armory Closed, February 2019

 Another part of Marion's past proud history will soon be included in of our forgotten passages of time.

The ravages of time has taken it's toll on the 56 year old building, plus the decrease in numbers in both the local Guard and across Kentucky.  

This National Guard Armory building was completed in 1963, after obtaining eight acres of land from the Crittenden County School Board. At one time, this land was used as the Crittenden County Fairgrounds. At the time the land was acquired by the Guard, it was a baseball complex for Little League. 

The state supplied a quarter of the money for the armory, while the federal government supplied the balance of the funding. Fund-raisers were held to raise the money for the armory's construction. 

The armory, a one-story square building with attached two-story drill hall, sits on approximately eight acres in a residential area. The land for the armory was sold to the National Guard by the Crittenden County School Board for $1500. 

The new Armory was dedicated on April 19th, 1964. Congressman Frank Stubblefield was the dedicatory speaker. A nineteen gun salute from five of the Company's M-46 Patton tanks greeted the Congressman and other dignitaries on their arrival.

This Armory building is the only one built in Marion with help from state and federal funds, plus local fundraisers. 

 In 1926 A. M. Shelby had a new building built for the National Guard located on West Bellville St. The building was of cream faced brick, beautiful large plate glass windows, of ample size for the requirements of the company in drilling and for indoor games as well. The building was modern throughout, hot and cold running water and everything. (this building was the one torn down to build the new fire station.),

 Two other buildings also served as a home for the National Guard since its beginnings in Marion in 1925. One was a county-owned maintenance garage located near the entrance of the city, and it was also housed in a concrete block building on Walker Street, that is now used by the city maintenance department. 

The National Guard was not active in Marion for ten years after World War II (1945-1955), but when the Guard was reorganized in 1955, they were housed in another leased building. In August of 1963, the Guard moved into an existing two-bay gas station located on Highway 60 until moving into the current armory. 

In addition to their long military history, the National Guard has participated in many state active duty missions. More recent state active duties include evacuating people from their homes during blizzards in 1995 and 1996 in Henderson, and in 1997, flood duty in Livingston County and the 2009 ice storm.   

(see The Crittenden Press, February 14, 2019 for more detailed information on the closing of the unit)

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The Old Landmarks

This article was written in February 1938 by Mr. Hollis C. Franklin, a beloved citizen of Marion and Crittenden County.  

Today, 81 years later, it still holds true, and it's really sad to think of all our landmarks that have been destroyed, fallen down, and even moved from our County.

Old Landmarks in Crittenden County, as they are in most other places, are passing one by one.  
The old  Crittenden County Courthouse being razed in 1961 for a new more modern one.

The old Covered Bridge on the old Fords Ferry Road is and has been for years, plank by plank going.  
 The old covered bridge in its last days.

The Log Houses on our roads one by one are being supplanted by newer and more modern homes.

The men and women who built and lived in those log houses were the real pioneers of Crittenden County, the ones who helped to build a county.

Stone chimneys, beautiful even now after years of use and exposure to wind, and sun and storm.
Copperas Spring School House, one of the last of the old one-room schools, was torn down in 2014.

One-room schools in the county are also, one by one, going the way of the things of yesterday.  Broken window panes, unpainted surfaces, patched roofs, decaying outbuildings.  Even though they are outdated and are no more useful, let it be said to their credit, they have done their part nobly in making life happier, lives more useful.

Very few of these wonderful old grocery store building are even left today.   This one was the Roy and Geneva Humphrey Grocery Store in Mexico, Ky.  A once busy fluorspar mining community.   

The old grocery stores that were once a vital part of all our little communities, were not needed, as people began to travel to larger towns and get their groceries and other items from the newer super markets.

We have lost so many of our Landmarks in the passing of years.  Time waits for no one.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Flu Epidemic in Crittenden County in 1929

The Press reports many deaths caused from the influenza pneumonia. December of 1928 and January of 1929 seemed to hit the county the hardest. Some of the deaths reported were:

Henry Owen, a well-known resident of Dycusburg died Dec. 20th, 1928 of flu. He was survived by his wife, one daughter, Miss Mattie Leon Owen, four sons, Calvin, Ray and Riley of Dycusburg and Clay Owen of Gary, Ind.

H. Burnett Williams died suddenly Sunday Dec. 30th, 1928 at his home near Casad. He became ill only a few hours before his death. Mr. Williams, who was 72 years old, had been a farmer in Crittenden County many years. He is survived by his widow, and two sons, J. B. and George Williams, and a daughter, Miss Lemma Lois Williams.

Thomas Jefferson Burton, Crittenden County farmer, died Dec. 30, 1928 at his home near Repton. Mr. Burton was 74 years old. Funeral services were held at Repton.

William Fowler died December 31, 1928 at his home on South College St. Influenza, which developed into pneumonia, was fatal to Mr. Fowler. He was in his eighty-ninth year at the time of his death. He was born April 19, 1839 in the Chapel Hill neighborhood. For a quarter of a century Mr. Fowler was president of the Farmers Bank and Trust Co.

Mrs. Allie Gass, wife of David Gass, died at home in Marion, January 5th, 1929, death being caused by pneumonia. Mrs. Gass, daughter of the late C. C. Woodall, was married to D. E. Gass. Mr. Gass is very ill and was unable to attend the burial service.

William Dallas Nation died January 6th, at the home of his mother, Mrs. Betty Nation, near Repton. He is survived by a sister, Miss Georgia Nation, two half brothers, Clyde Nation and Earl Marshall Martin and a half sister, Mrs. Beulah Newcom.

Mrs. Rebecca Canada, 77, died January 8th, of pneumonia at the home of her son, Alfred Canada, in the Sisco Chapel community. 

Juanita Vanhooser, six months daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Vanhooser, of near Repton, died January 7th.

Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Blake, both died Jan. 7, 1929 of influenza. There was a double funeral at Seven Springs Church for their remains. They were buried at Dycusburg Cemetery.

Mrs. Jasper Saphronia Fritts, widow of the late Robert Fritts died January 9th, of double pneumonia at the Fritts home in the Freedom community. Mrs. Fritts was the daughter of the late J. D. Gregory. She is survived by two sons, Willie Fritts of Harrisburg, Ill., and Lummie Fritts of Rosiclare, Ill, two daughter, Mrs. Ben Gilbert of Tribune, and Mrs. Bertha Gass, of Freedom.

John J. Sunderland, 82 years old, died Feb. 3, 1929 at his home in the Emmaus section of the county after several weeks illness of flu and pneumonia. Mr. Sunderland, who was born Feb. 19th, 1847 in Jefferson County, Tenn., has lived in Crittenden County since he was seven years old. In March 1871 Mr. Sunderland was married to Miss Mary Ann Grimes. The funeral service was held at Tyner's Chapel, with burial in the adjoining cemetery.

By the end of March 1929 the flu epidemic had about ran it's course and community activities and family lives once again resumed their normal routine, but in many homes there was also left much sadness and sorrow.