In the late 19th century most whiskey was sold by the barrel to a liquor store, druggist or tavern. The whiskey was then sold to consumers who would often bring in their own bottle or jug, but distilleries and rectifiers often offered jugs for sale to the consumer.
What a treasure it would be to have one of Marion's old whiskey jugs from years ago when spirits or vinous liquors were legally sold.
Marion at one time in the early 1900's had several saloons and drug stores along Main Street that had license to sell these.
Some of these places had their own stone jugs made for use and for advertisement of their stores.
One of these places was the Eberle & Hardin, Co. Saloon. It was located on Main Street next to Orme Drug Co., which also sold whiskey.
Here is a picture of one of the wonderful old jugs from the Eberle Hardin & Co. cira. 1905.
An advertisement from the Crittenden Press August 1905. Although the business location burnt in the March 1905 fire that destroyed all of Marion's mainstreet businesses, the company must have set up somewhere else to sell their wares, as the advertisement was dated August 1905. They didn't rebuilt their place of business back after the fire.